Using insert in power outage??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidV

Nov 20, 2005
Richmond VA
I made a post on another topic and this issue came to mind. With a freestanding stove you don't have to worry about power outages but what about an insert. would it be safe to run it and reduce the air intake to low to keep the stove from over heating. Since this would be the only source of heat in such a circumstance it is an important question.

David

The only inserts you have to worry about using during a power out is the one's where the fans need to be on else they melt. I think it's been many years since that mistake has been made and not something you need worry about anymore. Many people have inserts without blowers, some inserts blowers are an option, regardless some people don't use blowers because of the noise but they most certainly will heat your house without power. I've found not to the same level as when on but they heat nonetheless.

When not using blowers you'll use more wood and the heat won't be as even.

Hmm... you have one heck of an old insert and I can't find much data on it. I wonder if it is one of the old one's where the fans melted if you used it during a power outtage.

Status
Not open for further replies.