Using left over coals in green egg to BBQ

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Makers Mark

Dec 14, 2013
Southern Appalachian
When cleaning out coals in Voyaguer have noticed some good sized pieces. Put them in ash can and they go out. Going to see if they will work in green egg. I use natural charcoal in it, which is left over hardwood flooring. I burn mostly oak and hickory. Was wondering if anyone has ever tried this.

Reactions: n3pro
interesting concept.....I would think it would work. I love those things, just cant bring myself to justify the cost.

They are worth it. Have had mine 10 or 12 yrs would buy new one tomorrow if something happened. Kinda like EPA stoves bit of a learning curve to them.

do it all the time after firing the pizza oven. Move the coals from the pizza oven to the egg.

Reactions: jaychino415
interesting concept.....I would think it would work. I love those things, just cant bring myself to justify the cost.

Same here, Years ago I worked for a Chimney company that had an outdoor living showroom as well. They sold wood stoves, outdoor and indoor furniture, and grills. They sold the Big Green Eggs and I could have gotten one at cost. Probably should have done it but I didn't and now I just can't justify the cost. I have had chicken, etc on the eggs before and it was great.

Guess i'm sticking with my 30$ webber for now!

There is no reason that you cannot use the coals. At this point it really doesn't matter what the wood was, as most of the volatiles are long gone. I have done this and used them in my kettle grill. Makes for a hot fire, but I find that the coals lack for longevity. I have since gone to mixing the coals with something like Kingsford. Makes a good combo of heat and longevity (if that is needed).

(Imma gonna slip this over to the DIY forum, but I will leave a link up here for a couple of days.)

The question is, what are you trying to gain? I have had a BGE for five years and it's not "set it and forget it" like propane. Adding in another step of making your own charcoal is not an option. Mind you, I love the thing and what it does for cooking, but natural lump charcoal is enough of a pain to deal with, let alone having to make it. Royal Oak is dirt cheap at Mal Fart.

Not really trying to gain anything just hated to see those large pieces of charcoal go to waste. When cleaning out quad. So thought I would put them to good use. Dirt cheap or not I can afford it. Plus haven't been in as you say Mal Fart in 15 yrs.

Makers Mark,

Interesting idea. If nothing eles, it would make firing off the natural lump a little easier. I agree with you, we have two eggs, a large, and a medium. One of the best investments we ever made. Would not trade them for any other type of grill. We just did a beef brisket for Christmas Eve and a turkey for Christmas Day. Both recieved rave reviews. I am convinced the egg is the best way to cook a turkey, moist and tender.

Cleaned out quad twice,poured ashes thru hardware cloth got about chimney starter full. Steaks were perfect Sat. nite. Not a lot but what the heck was basically free charcoal which is like free whiskey just good. I agree twelve bravo love the egg

Status
Not open for further replies.