using lumber covers as wood tarps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leakypuppy

Mar 3, 2008
Northern NJ
I know it depends on the size of the tarp I need to make but I was just wondering if anyone has any tips for making tarps from Lumber Covers? I picked up 4 from the lumber yard today as well as some grommets. Do you double them up (fold them over) Do you cut and then piece together ?

Thanks!

Folded over they cover a cord well for me. I try to fold them so that the sides are mostly exposed.

Did you do any cutting to get them as flat and square as possible? Did you use duct tape?

I have used lumber tarps for years to cover wood stacks. Cheap - free! I fold and cut where needed. In some cases I have spliced them together by creating a fold and then staple the fold on to lath. I do not use grommets, rather small rubber balls placed on the tarp...tie a slip knot around the tarp and ball with nylon cord and tie her down.
jackpine

Forget about grommets that only tear out and never ever seem to be where you really need it. These work anywhere and the tarp can be rearranged and the hold-downs moved.

117800_lg.jpg

A little off topic to the OP's question, but I didn't use tie downs last year. I used regular old tarps with grommet holes, cut a length of rope to fit the space between two grommets and then doubled up a bungee cord and hung a milk gallon (filled with water) on the bungee. This way I didn't have to untie anything when I needed wood. The tarps never blew off all winter and we get some really good storms around here. That system worked well for me but I have an improvement in mind for this year because I am stacking my wood a little different.

Shari

There are also the Lee Valley pop bottle clips.

00k0910i1.jpg

LLigetfa said:
There are also the Lee Valley pop bottle clips.

00k0910i1.jpg

I have these. They really do work great for holding down tarps.

I went back to the lumber yard today and scored 2 of these, I gave the yard guys $20.00.
They must be 50-60 ft long and are the perfect size for covering a single deep stack of wood.

Attachments

• IMG_0387.jpg
    IMG_0387.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 282
Status
Not open for further replies.