Q&A Using manufactured firelogs in wood stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I just bought a product called Hearthlogs. They appear to be made of pressed sawdust and something very flammable. I have been using them in my woodstove, but now notice that there is a warning on the label not to use them in woodstoves. Also they are not to be used when the fireplace has a glass door. The door should remain open and the damper should remain completely open as well. I have been using them in a wood stove rather than a fireplace, with the glass door shut and the damper turned almost all the way down. In other words I've done everything wrong.

Why is there this kind of warning? There was no phone number or email to inquire further through the company, so I am hoping you might be able to tell me something.

Answer:

These have wax in them and it is dangerous to use in a closed stove. Only real wood or logs which are designed for this use can be used. One brand that I know of is Presto Logs, but they are not available everywhere. In general, use only natural wood in a closed stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.