Using multiple heat shields

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ttchutch

Aug 14, 2015
Eagle Colorado
I'm new to this forum. I have a wood stove that I'm installing. I would like to reduce the rear clearance as much as I safety can. I'm getting a heat shield for the rear of it. The current rear clearance without a shield is 30". Apparently that will reduce the minimum clearance by up to 67%. So that will reduce the clearance to around 10", let's keep it around 12" to be safe. Now if I were to install a proper heat shield on the wall with a 1 inch gap behind it would that reduce the clearance by another 67%?

Not necessarily, your manual would specify if thats allowed. If the manual makes no mention if it, then i would call tge manufacturet and ask how it would affect clearances. If it isnt tested that way then they wobt put it in the manual but may be able to give you some guidance. A wall heat shield will provide some protection, but may not be "sufficient" to satisfy manufacturers rewuirements or home insurance.

So yes it will reduce clearances, but may not be deemed sufficient by the powers that you would need to satisfy (town, insurance)

The max NFPA 211 clearance reduction is to 12".
What stove is this for?

Last edited:
IMAG2470.jpg

I don't think I've ever seen one. Got a front shot that shows the whole stove?

That's a beast. Looks like it would go thru trees like candy. The stove seems to be in decent condition on the outside.

Moving this thread over to the classics forum.

Last edited:
Must weigh a ton. Does it have a baffle above the firebrick?

Might be a halfway decent heater then. Keep us posted and don't be shy about asking installation questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.