Using Outside Air Inlet

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavesa

Feb 28, 2009
Nova Scotia
Hi

merry Christmas to everyone.

I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on using a pipe on the air inlet? Currently I have no pipe and I'm wondering whether it might be a good idea. I have a pedestal Pacific Energy Spectrum which will take a 4" air inlet pipe. I live in a 160 year old house in Nova Scotia which has a somewhat damp basement (was wet, frequently with 3" of water when be moved in 4 years ago, but bit by bit reduced now to just dampness). It doesn't get very cold here, typically not much lower in January than -15C (5f) and with the wet basement I've always thought it not a bad idea to get some air through the house anyway and mostly I think the fire draws air up through the forced air heating vent in the hall which gets some air through the basement which I think definitely keeps the moisture down there at bay. Most of the airflow is from the hall through the sitting room door to the stove which is away from where we sit in the evening as you can see from this link shows the ground floor layout of the house

http://perso.wanadoo.es/andrew.bagley/HouseDiag.htm

The stove is just to the left of C in the sitting room and the forced air vent is about where the arrow is above where it says "Stairs" in the hall.

I'm wondering though whether it might be a good idea to lead an air inlet pipe directly down into the basement to stop the draw of cold damp air through the house. Conveniently, there is a void in the wall right behind the woodstove so it would be pretty easy to run the pipe through the wall and directly into the basement. The logic behind it would be to

1) stop cold dampish cold basement air (~4C - 40f) from drawing up into the house

2) probably get a better draft of air directly through the basement so probably giving a better airflow and more ventilation through the basement

the main downsides I can see is that maybe dampish air directly into the stove is a poor idea for stove longevity although outside the burning season I could cover over the air inlet pipe. I think the warmth from the stove in the burning season would likely prevent any humidity buildup problems in the stove. The other downside might be reduced air intake into the stove which works absolutely superbly at the moment.

We typically don't get a lot of heat from where the stove is located into the Dining room as it comes out of the sitting room door into the hall and mostly disappears upstairs. I wonder if we might get more though by killing the draft along the floor from the hall to the sitting room.

Anyone have any thoughts on this or experience of air inlet vents?

Thanks and merry Christmas to all again!

Pavesa

They are called OAK's (Outside Air Kit)'s. Very well discussed on this forum. You can seach and find one of the lengthy discussions on them.

My opinion is that there is no down side to using one. It's a no-brainer.

MnDave

Two air supplies diverged in the woods....I took the Oak path....and that has made all the difference. Once I hooked up the OAK I practically eliminated drafts running through the house except for the natural movement of cold air being displaced by warm air.

Status
Not open for further replies.