Using pallets for kindling

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nmaho

Jan 15, 2014
Ma
I have been using hatchet to make kindling out of pallets, it is crackling and popping does this mean it is wet or is it just the pine?

Its dry pine. Great kindling, watch the nails.

Typical of softwood ... Lots of snapping and crackling.

I've already told the General Contractor that I expect to keep the kiln dried Douglas fir cut offs from framing my house. I will not pay big money for framing just to throw away the wasted just to turn around and pay for firewood.

jillybeansisme, Make sure you let those fall offs dry. Framing lumber is not as dry as you might expect. I am a contractor and we source separate all framing fall offs. I let those dry In a rough stack fashion so that air can get around as many pieces as possible. In other words don't stack like bricks.

Thank you for that info because when I'm told it is kiln-dried Douglas fir, I presumed it was dry! I was planning to make chicken wire baskets and throw the pieces in the baskets. Then I was going to store these baskets in the garage, which will be empty for awhile. If this kiln-dried stuff isn't so dry, maybe I'll store my baskets outside! Thanks again.

I don't even need a hatchet for pallet kindling, the guys at my trucking terminal make enough kindling out of skids with the forklifts I just need to walk around the dock and pick up the pieces.

Status
Not open for further replies.