1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Using Pellet and Oil Boilers

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by pearlset79, Dec 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pearlset79

pearlset79 New Member

Loc:
    Plattsburgh, NY
    Hi all, had a question about using both of these in series, which is how I have them connected. Since the price of pellets has increased and oil is down from last winter, would it be cost effective to use both at the same time?? what would the temp settings be if i wanted to mainly rely on my pellet boiler?? i have a triple action aquastat on my oil boiler. Anyone have experience with this?? Thanks for any help. I am thinking of using this when the weather gets coldest for me in Jan and Feb.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. AndrewChurchill

AndrewChurchill Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Vermont
    I don't think there would be an advantage to using both boilers at once. I would figure out which boiler has the cheaper fuel per BTU and use that one. Otherwise you are just averaging the price of both fuels and you will be spending more money.

The only reason I can see for using both boilers is if the primary boiler can't keep up with the heat demand.

Andy
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.