Using Pellet and Oil Boilers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pearlset79

Nov 19, 2008
Plattsburgh, NY
Hi all, had a question about using both of these in series, which is how I have them connected. Since the price of pellets has increased and oil is down from last winter, would it be cost effective to use both at the same time?? what would the temp settings be if i wanted to mainly rely on my pellet boiler?? i have a triple action aquastat on my oil boiler. Anyone have experience with this?? Thanks for any help. I am thinking of using this when the weather gets coldest for me in Jan and Feb.

I don't think there would be an advantage to using both boilers at once. I would figure out which boiler has the cheaper fuel per BTU and use that one. Otherwise you are just averaging the price of both fuels and you will be spending more money.

The only reason I can see for using both boilers is if the primary boiler can't keep up with the heat demand.

Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.