Using pellets to extract BTUs from semi-seasoned wood - Advice & Strategy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jotul_Rockland

Hearth Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
Connecticut
Guys,

I have a mix of seasoned hardwood(50 splits/ pieces) and semi seasoned (4 months) (150 pieces) of wood to burn this winter. As you can see, I've got very limited resources to leverage this winter. I have an EPA rated insert (Rockland) that is awesome.

Here's my strategy to heat the house - I use the seasoned wood & kindling to burn a very hot fire. Typically 2 splits - I let it cruise with 2-4 of semi seasoned wood. I do get some coals but the semi seasoned wood burns. I currently use pellets (picked up from Home depot) to stimulate the burning process and maintain heat. I put 4 small pellet packs (made with standard sized paper with 2 hands full of pellets) as steroids to make the semi seasoned splits catch fire. The pellets catch fire and burn down the semi seasoned wood. I only see steam (no smoke) from the chimney with this approach.

When cooling down the stove (I only have limited wood to strategically heat during the coldest days and the weekends), I use pellets to burn down the coals.

Q1) Is my strategy safe (for the insert)? I only use limited quantity of the pellets to stop the stove temperature from falling.

Q2) Is my strategy sound? Do you have any recommendations to improve it?

I assume your "semi seasoned" wood is hardwood.

I have burned "semi seasoned" wood over the years, and I suppose I always burn some even though I make an attempt to burn old wood first.

I think the only concern about the semi seasoned wood is more creosote, and if you burn it after everything is hot that may be minimal. Your strategy seems to address this second point. I have zero experience with pellets, but your post makes me think/wonder about using some to start a fire.

Instead of pellets which cost money, perhaps you you could use pallats, you can usually get them for free. They work well for kindling or to get some less than ideal wood going.
Just don't put in too many an one time.

Pellets are designed to be burned with a generous air supply underneath them, similar to coal. As noted, they don't so well in a regular wood stove. That's why the suggestion to try a batch of BioBricks or Hearthwise logs to extend the wood supply.

Just echoing . . . I would try using pallets to help the semi-seasoned wood (just don't stuff the firebox to the gills with the pallets) or go with the processed wood blocks for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.