Using the Quad Like it was Meant to be Used

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amellefson

Jan 3, 2011
Southern WI
My wife called me this morning as soon as I got to work. She says the furnace is broken. I rush home and change the circuit board. All is well. She comes home from work around noon and calls..."it's still 57 in here." This has been an issue over the years (hence the extra circuit board just lying around). Now I am waiting for the new furnace to be hooked up when my brother gets back in town on Saturday. Until then I am burning the insert 24/7 and running a milk house heater at the other end of the house.

Normally burning this much wouldn't be a big deal but I had to buy a cord this year. I never made the time scrounge my own wood. So I am trying to make it last.

I guess it's fun. Kind of like an extended power outage:)

Tony

kinda nice to have the time to wait 'til Saturday and replace the furnace at leisure. Without the Quad you'd be in a bit of a hurry don't you think?

Black Jaque Janaviac said:
kinda nice to have the time to wait 'til Saturday and replace the furnace at leisure. Without the Quad you'd be in a bit of a hurry don't you think?

You bet. I was grumbling as I hauled in a few loads of wood, but I was quick to realize I am thankful not ornery.

Tony

QuadForLife said:
You bet. I was grumbling as I hauled in a few loads of wood, but I was quick to realize I am thankful not ornery.

Tony

I haul two loads in a day and never grumble, last time the furnace ran for any amount of time was over the Christmas break when we were gone for nearly a week. Other than that I think it ran for a couple hours when I had to let the stove cool enough to check the pipe recently. At this point if the furnace died it would probably stay dead, it would save me from traveling over the holidays! :lol:

QuadForLife said:
Black Jaque Janaviac said:

Tony

QuadForLife,

How do you like your 4100i?
Do you have any smoke issuees?

At this point if the furnace died it would probably stay dead, it would save me from traveling over the holidays!

I love it! "boiler is dead, I can't leave the house lest the water pipes will freeze - I'll see you in the summer though!"

QuadORLopi said:
QuadForLife,

How do you like your 4100i?
Do you have any smoke issuees?
What size room do you have it in?

I have had it just over a year and I love it. I did not shop too many other brands. Two of my uncles have different Quads and they were happy so I followed suit.

No smoke issues here. By smoke I assume you mean flushing back into the room. I may have read another person was having that problem in a thread. I have a 14' single flex liner up a semi interior chimney. There is no flue block off plate or insulation, I think that will be a this summer project. I have entertained the idea of switching the air intake plate and adding an outside air intake, but I am not sure of the pros/cons.

The room is about 13'x15' with two 30'' doorways into the dining room and hallway/kitchen. It is a fifties ranch with living on one end and bedrooms on the other. It is not the best setup for radiant heat, but I like to sleep cooler anyway. I burn full-time to part-time depending an my work schedule and ambition.

I have no regrets. Good lick.

Tony

Is your 4100i the earlier ACT version? I don't recall when QF converted over to the ACC system.
however. I don't think you needed to shop around, I think you landed a fine insert with good looks.

I went with the larger and earilier 5100i-ACT model, just finished the instal just a couple months ago right when it started to snow.

I think it's a good idea to add insulation above your insert as a summer project, it's amazing how much heat goes up there.
You should notice a difference once you complete your insulation install come next winter.

Benchwrench said:
Is your 4100i the earlier ACT version? I don't recall when QF converted over to the ACC system.
however. I don't think you needed to shop around, I think you landed a fine insert with good looks.

I went with the larger and earilier 5100i-ACT model, just finished the instal just a couple months ago right when it started to snow.

I think it's a good idea to add insulation above your insert as a summer project, it's amazing how much heat goes up there.
You should notice a difference once you complete your insulation instal come next winter.

I agree. I think it is one of the nicer looking ones, with the three light and all...

I am not sure which one it is. I have one rod to control the air and another that is extra air for start up. They are both manual. I think the freestanding 4100 is semi auto. I saw your thread. It looks really nice. I will post pics in a few months with any luck. I have some trim work to do yet.

Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.