Using the splitter on a trailer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

westkywood

Feeling the Heat
Oct 14, 2009
Kentucky
My brother and I went in on a splitter 3 years ago but we live 30 miles apart. When I need it, I go get it, which is usually once or twice a year. I've always just hitched it to my truck, but it was kinda slow going and had to really watch the ruts in the road. We decided to put it on a trailer so we rigged a wench to pull the splitter up onto the trailer so when I got home with it, I could unload it and load it by myself. Anyway, when I got home i decided to try leaving it on the trailer and split some wood. I discovered my favorite way to use the splitter. Standing up with the splitter on the trailer. Don't need no milk crate. I didn't have to bend over as much as if it was on the ground. I didn't have any splits any bigger than about 15 inches.
I'm not a big fan of splitting horizontal ( standing up ) but this way the logs stay on the trailer after split. My back appreciated it.... splitter.jpg

Reactions: Redlegs and ScotO
Looks good to me!
I have the same splitter and I love it.
Do what works for you.

Down side is having to lift the rounds onto the trailer. My back would kick me for doing that. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Kinda negates the feature of splitting vertical.
Not having to lift the rounds is what I like about vertical.
Vertical on a trailer looks harder than horizontal IMO.
But everyone has a way that works well for them.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Kinda negates the feature of splitting vertical.
Not having to lift the rounds is what I like about vertical.
Vertical on a trailer looks harder than horizontal IMO.
But everyone has a way that works well for them.

I usually do split vertical on the ground. If I had large rounds , thats what I'd do. When sitting or kneeling on the ground I'd have to get up to get more wood, this way I dont. My brother prefers horizontal because he has back trouble. To me, this way was much easier on my back. :)

Down side is having to lift the rounds onto the trailer. My back would kick me for doing that. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

The way I had my wood stacked, most of the time I didnt have to bend over at all to get a round ( until I got to the bottom of course )

I'm thinking build a ramp for the bigger stuff and roll it up. Or you could fab some kind of block and tackle, or hoist. Either way, I really like the idea. That is the ONLY thing that bugs me when I am splitting vertical......my lower back cramps up.

Maybe I'll dig a 'pit' where I can sit the round I sit on while splitting (or a milk crate like Dennis), and that would take alot of that stress off my back. No lifting either......Hmm..something to contemplate!!

Reactions: Shane N
My brother and I went in on a splitter 3 years ago but we live 30 miles apart. When I need it, I go get it, which is usually once or twice a year. I've always just hitched it to my truck, but it was kinda slow going and had to really watch the ruts in the road. We decided to put it on a trailer so we rigged a wench to pull the splitter up onto the trailer so when I got home with it, I could unload it and load it by myself. Anyway, when I got home i decided to try leaving it on the trailer and split some wood. I discovered my favorite way to use the splitter. Standing up with the splitter on the trailer. Don't need no milk crate. I didn't have to bend over as much as if it was on the ground. I didn't have any splits any bigger than about 15 inches.
I'm not a big fan of splitting horizontal ( standing up ) but this way the logs stay on the trailer after split. My back appreciated it....View attachment 93971
I think splitting on that trailer your just asking for trouble, just my thoughts.

I think splitting on that trailer your just asking for trouble, just my thoughts.
I think (in this particular instance) there could be problems, now that I look at it better. I'd want that splitter anchored down, and something to support underneath the trailer where the splitter is.......good point, Zappy.

Again, damned if you do, damned if you don't. The thing I hate about splitting vertical is having to kneel down, squat, or sit on a milk crate all day. The thing I hate about horizontal is having to pick up the large logs to put them on the splitter. So, I am going to build a splitter with a log lift at some point. Probably not this year, but most likely next year.

Reactions: westkywood
I think (in this particular instance) there could be problems, now that I look at it better. I'd want that splitter anchored down, and something to support underneath the trailer where the splitter is.......good point, Zappy.

The splitter is anchored down and so is the trailer. The trailer is hooked to my truck ( trailer can't tilt ), and you can see in the photo there is a strap holding down the splitter. What you can't see in the photo is there is another rope hooked to the front. The splitter ( or trailer ) can't move.Solid as a rock....

Reactions: ScotO
The splitter is anchored down and so is the trailer. The trailer is hooked to my truck ( trailer can't tilt ), and you can see in the photo there is a strap holding down the splitter. What you can't see in the photo is there is another rope hooked to the front. The splitter ( or trailer ) can't move.Solid as a rock....
OK, I see that now......
either way, just be careful......I like the general concept and I will be looking at modifying my splitter area in the back yard.......

That splitter set up is similar to (i think HobbyHeater) in the pacific northwest. His splitter has an elevated table. He brings the wood to the table with a cable hoist set up. Its a very nice design. Little bending over.

Doesn't anybody split horizontally while unloading their wood off the back of their truck?
I don't have a hydraulic splitter, but if I did, that is the way I'd try and set myself up. It seems like it would save a lot of work, if you were using a pickup, or trailer, for hauling your wood home, as you unloaded the wood you could simply roll it over and on to a splitter that was level, or just a bit lower, than the back of your truck or trailer and split your rounds as you were unloading them.

Reactions: Redlegs
Doesn't anybody split horizontally while unloading their wood off the back of their truck?
I don't have a hydraulic splitter, but if I did, that is the way I'd try and set myself up. It seems like it would save a lot of work, if you were using a pickup, or trailer, for hauling your wood home, as you unloaded the wood you could simply roll it over and on to a splitter that was level, or just a bit lower, than the back of your truck or trailer and split your rounds as you were unloading them.

Good point! When I just have the PU, horizontal off the tail gate is easy .
Belly height ;)

My trailer is to low, so I roll it off & split vertical since the wood is on the ground.

Most times i've got to go get another load & no time to split as I off load.

Most times i've got to go get another load & no time to split as I off load.
I hear ya. >>

Ideally we try and (hand) split the rounds as we offload them from the truck, and stack the splits directly in the woodshed, but time constraints often interfere and we end up making a temporary stack of the rounds that are too big to go directly into the stove. But, it's sure nice when we can skip that step. ;)

That splitter set up is similar to (i think Hobby Heater) in the pacific northwest. His splitter has an elevated table. He brings the wood to the table with a cable hoist set up. Its a very nice design. Little bending over.

My brother was telling me he knew someone that made a swing arm with a cable and grapple. Never has to pick up the log. Of course he splits horizontal.

I'd split right off the truck but I dont always have the luxury of having the splitter here when I need it. I gotta get the wood when I can and stack it till I get the splitter...I'm with ya. Less bending over...

Splitting on the trailer really isn't having to lift the rounds any higher than horizontal splitting, looks like the trailer height is about the same as if the splitter was on the ground in the horizontal position.. I do split the bigger rounds vertical first, but they have to be big rounds, as I like to split horizontal because I don't like bending over all thee time.. I even bought a strap handle with a hook on each end from Northern Tool so I don't have to bend over to pick up the rounds off the ground...http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200512865_200512865
This makes a world of differance, I use it all the time.

I'm not a big fan of splitting horizontal ( standing up ) but this way the logs stay on the trailer after split. My back appreciated it...

Sure wish I could find a good wench to pull our splitter... ;lol Just kidding westkywood. I know you meant winch. ;)

Reactions: Redlegs
I usually do split vertical on the ground. If I had large rounds , thats what I'd do. When sitting or kneeling on the ground I'd have to get up to get more wood, this way I dont. My brother prefers horizontal because he has back trouble. To me, this way was much easier on my back. :)

Hard to believe someone with a bad back wants to stand and work with his arms out in front of him rolling those logs. As for the sitting and splitting, it really depends a lot on the height you are sitting and how your wood is. I also fail to understand these statements about always having to get up to get more wood. Don't you put the splitter beside the pile?

Splitting on the trailer really isn't having to lift the rounds any higher than horizontal splitting, looks like the trailer height is about the same as if the splitter was on the ground in the horizontal position.. I do split the bigger rounds vertical first, but they have to be big rounds, as I like to split horizontal because I don't like bending over all thee time.. I even bought a strap handle with a hook on each end from Northern Tool so I don't have to bend over to pick up the rounds off the ground...http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200512865_200512865
This makes a world of differance, I use it all the time.

Agree... But what I do like about splitting this way rather than horizontal, is the splits stay on the trailer. Horizontal they fall to the side a lot. But i"m sure there are tricks to that too.

Hard to believe someone with a bad back wants to stand and work with his arms out in front of him rolling those logs. As for the sitting and splitting, it really depends a lot on the height you are sitting and how your wood is. I also fail to understand these statements about always having to get up to get more wood. Don't you put the splitter beside the pile?

Where I split my wood ( which is the most convenient place in my yard ), there is only a couple places that are level ground to place the splitter. If I do split vertical on the ground, I usually kneel. Occasionally sit. I am as close to the pile as I can be when I start, but eventually that pile starts getting farther away from the splitter. At that point, I usually surround myself with wood and split away.
My brother usually splits straight out of the truck to keep from bending over. He prefers horizontal. It hurts his back to bent over very long. Says it kills him splitting vertical.

Sometimes . . . depends on whether I'm just puttering away and getting a load and leisurely taking it off . . . then I split it at the same time.

But if I'm working on getting as much wood back home or working with other folks I just unload it . . . but you are correct . . . it's much, much easier unloading it from the truck and splitting it right then and there.

Status
Not open for further replies.