using wood cut-offs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cjung

Oct 16, 2009
central NY
Hi,
Today, I picked up a utility trailer load of cut-offs from a local flooring company. This wood is the left overs after the company cuts the floor boards to length or removes defects. These flooring planks have been kiln dried, planed & routed and but are otherwise unfinished. The planks are 1" x 3.5" and the length varies from 3" to 16". From a quick glance I saw oak, maple and walnut. The company also produces hickory, ash, cherry, birch and beech flooring so those woods are likely in the trailer load as well.

We have a small supply of firewood from last year (about 1.5 cords) of maple & oak and an additional 1 cord from a maple tree we had cut down in the spring of '08. I know we'll need to buy some more regular firewood but I'm not thrilled with what's available. Yes, I put off getting wood until the last minute. I can get several more trailer loads of the flooring cut-offs for very cheap.

Anything I should keep in mind about using this cut-off wood? If I understand things correctly, the smaller the piece of wood, the quicker it will be burned. And so I'm pondering making some "logs" by gathering about 8 pieces of flooring planks roughly the same length, then fitting and stacking them so that they are 2 deep x 4 high which would give me a "log" with a cross section dimension of about 4 x 7. I could bind this together with wire. Maybe it's a dumb idea - I'm just brain storming.

Cascade Failure said:
Just burn them but don't overload the stove. Those small, dry pieces will put out good heat but won't last overnight.

Also, don't put too many in if you have a newer EPA stove that uses secondary combustion. Those chunks will go up quick and likely overfire your stove if you aren't careful. I've already been "worried" just burning normal size poplar (burns pretty quick).

I would recommend that you just throw a few in with each load to get the fire going good and hot fast, those chunks will be gone by the time the other woods gets going and you should have a good hot fire that lasts as well (the normal firewood will keep it going ).

If you end up buying some less than ideal cordwood, the scraps will do a good job of helping you get it to burn. Definitely do not load up the stove with it. It's fine for a small quick fire. Otherwise blend it in.

The panel has spoken........and they are correct. Use as kindling, or you can overheat your stove.

I burn pallet wood and cut offs in my shop exclusively. I sometimes gather 4 or 5 "slats" and fire a nail to hold it together. Makes for a much longer burning "log". I thought about using wire to tie them together, but quickly discarded the idea. Nails fall to the bottom and out of the way when the wood in consumed.

Agreeing with everyone else here . . . it could be used for wood . . . just be careful since it could overheat the stove due to having more surface area exposed . . . a better use might be for use during the shoulder season, use as kindling or add some in with your less than ideal wood to help "drive" the moisture out of the less than perfect cord wood.

Welcome to the forum lucycollie.

Tieing several together might be interesting but I'd surely still be very cautious. Better to mix the woods. If you or someone else is home to tend the stove, then you could burn these exclusively but only in small amounts. For instance, on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon, put in enough to hold a fire for maybe 3 hours then add more after those are burned. I certainly would not load many and then leave the stove unattended.

btw, that is a great find on your part. Stack them up and enjoy the heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.