USSC 6041 Air Wash Improvement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Caleb Joens

Nov 12, 2013
Central Iowa
I have a USSC 6041 and the air wash system works by pushing air from a slit in front of the burnpot and blows against the door glass. This works to keep a small portion of the glass clean, but it does not take long for the glass to cloud over. My experience is that visible clouding start 4-6 hours after the glass has been cleaned, and after about 1-1.5 days of operation the glass is pretty covered and the flame is only visible in the bottom center of the glass.

What I did:
I noticed that the slit under the burnpot that the air is forced against the glass from is lower than the bottom lip that the door seals against. I took a small sheet of steel and cut it to clip on the bottom lip where the door meets the face of the stove and angled it down so that the air hits it and is forced up towards the glass. This has made a dramatic difference in how long the glass stays clean. I am now almost at three days without cleaning and the glass only has a slight buildup in the bottom corners. Otherwise the glass is clean. I am very pleased with this minor modification making such a big difference in the aesthetics of the stove. I will try and grab some pictures to post later.

IMG_20140224_232003_014.jpg
You can see the steel piece that I positioned in front of the air wash supply. Right now it is fairly crude, but once I get a final version created I will spray it black with high temp paint and it should become a fairly permanent fixture on the stove.

Reactions: Brewer
Status
Not open for further replies.