Utica Oil Boiler Help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wood Pirate

Jun 25, 2008
Orange County, NY
Hey guys,
I have a Utica Starfire 3 oil boiler (carlin EZ1 burner) that was in my house when I purchased it. I use this along with my New yorker add on wood boiler to heat the baseboard and hot water. My house is 1800 sf and the boiler is DOE 175KBTU / NET 152K BTU which I believe is severely oversized. My question is can I change the nozzle to lower the BTU and make it more efficient?

The manual says that it was originally equipped with a 1.25 80B nozzle in it. My had a .85 80b nozzle in it when I bought the house. I now have a 1.00 nozzle in it only because my nozzle was clogged and that was all I could get in a pinch.

Any ideas? I dont know much about nozzles and BTU Efficiency Etc.

Thanks

I forgot to mention that I had a heat loss done at one point and I believe I was told I could get away with a boiler rated at well under 75K BTU. I'll have to look for the paperwork on the heat loss.

My wood boiler is 90K BTU and it would probably heat 2 of my houses.

Isulation is all new walls and ceilings. Most walls are 2x6 construction. All brand new anderson 400 series windows. Ranch style home.

nozzle size is dictated by the end cone on the blast tube. 1 gal to 1.75 gal is a common range, i'm not sure with the Carlins what happens below 1 gal.

Book says Burner input is 1.5 gph with the 1.25 nozzle if that makes sense.

change back to the 80. if you don't know how to adjust the flame then call in a oil guy. it's worth it. if you don't have it adjusted right it could clog up the passages in the boiler. and or chimney. or if adjusted the other way it could run to hot and burn the fire box right out of it. and that's not to say anything about carbon monoxide and efficiency

Status
Not open for further replies.