UV filter (scrubber) in your air handler?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wahoowad

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2005
Virginia
Someone recommended I install a UV filter in my air handler to kill any airborne mold. Do these work or is this something the HVAC industry has created to make more money? If valid, how does one know if they have enough of an issue to install one and are there homeowner-installable units?

Airborne mold spores are everywhere. What is your concern with them? I think they are only truly harmful in very high numbers.

My understanding is that the best way to prevent mold problems is to control moisture levels, preventing outbreaks.

This past year I switched from the cheap air filters to a mid-priced filter in the hopes of removing a bit more dust/etc from our air. I'm currently using a Flanders brand 20x20 'EnergyAire' filter and change it every 60 days or so. The packaging says good up to 90 days.

Ever since switching, and when I go to replace a filter, I'm noticing small black dots on the dirty filter that I assume is mold. At first I was worried it was coming from condensation dripping down from the coils but now see it is fairly uniformly distributed. An HVAC guy recommended I look into the UV products.

wahoowad said:
This past year I switched from the cheap air filters to a mid-priced filter in the hopes of removing a bit more dust/etc from our air. I'm currently using a Flanders brand 20x20 'EnergyAire' filter and change it every 60 days or so. The packaging says good up to 90 days.

Ever since switching, and when I go to replace a filter, I'm noticing small black dots on the dirty filter that I assume is mold. At first I was worried it was coming from condensation dripping down from the coils but now see it is fairly uniformly distributed. An HVAC guy recommended I look into the UV products.

I guess I'd be concerned about either: 1) the source of the mold accumulating on the filter, assuming its not growing on the filter from airborne spores, or 2) the source of the moisture that's allowing mold to grow on the filter once spores are captured there.

in either case, UV treatment would seem to be addressing the result of the problem, not the cause.

I don't have a mold problem...that I know about. No mold issues elsewhere in the house. Seeing it on the air filter is he only sign. I am not 100% sure how often I change out the filter. I said every 2 momnths as that is my goal, I may be forgetting. Today I wrote the date on the fresh filter so now I will know exactly how long it has been.

Agree with semi, you need to find the source of moisture that is allowing for the mold growth to occur in the first place.

Even an ancient pleated paper filter will not show signs of mold until you add moisture.

I am very skeptical too about the UV. Dead mold spores are just as allergenic as live ones, and it is rare that the mold actually infects YOU. Those lamps are $$ and have a pretty short life, I would guess. Look at the operating costs.

Of course, I am a fan of filtering, and have a near-HEPA on my central return. It gets pretty gross looking after the 30 'run days' before I replace it (thermostat reminder timer). I saw that as evidence it was doing me some good. Are the spots really mold, or could they be something that looks like mold. I would think it would be hard to tell.

Indoor air quality (IAQ) is a big and important issue in many homes, and homeowners are just starting to get a clue. We are transitioning from big leaky houses that had the same pollutants outdoor and in, to tight houses that are cleaner than the outside air (if done correctly). During this transition, as with earlier ones, we will have a decade of misinformation, confusion and snake-oil salesmen. I think scare-mongering about indoor air mold spores will be featured prominently. As they said above, if you care about mold (doesn't sound like you have a problem) the first step is controlling indoor humidity, not expensive filters.

Is your house new construction, or airsealed old construction (i.e. reasonably tight) or kinda drafty? In the latter case, the filter is prob not keeping up with the new air leaking in (neither doing much harm nor good) and any allergens like mold are coming in from the outside.

Well, the house is 25 years old. Not too leaky, not too tight. Pretty sure they are mold spores - not sure what else they could be. Moisture levels are in the 50% range right now. In the summer my heat pump does a decent job removing moisture. It has been a rainy 2 months here although I still have about 55% showing on my hydrometer.

Status
Not open for further replies.