v6 Dodge Dakota

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Black Jaque Janaviac

Feeling the Heat
Dec 17, 2009
Ouisconsin
This wood burning blows me away.

I'm "saving" money on natural gas, but spending it all on gear! Oh well that's a lot more fun than sending it away to the gas company at least I've got something to show for it.

First I got the wood insert. Next it was a bigger trailer to make the hauling trips more worthwhile. Now I'm wondering if my V6 Dakota isn't underpowered.

Does anyone have experience with the V8 Dakota (not the HOs) and can they comment on whether the extra two cylinders makes much difference. Torque doesn't seem a whole lot different.

Or maybe I could trade it even up for a diesel with high miles.

Can't really comment on the Dakota. Just get something bigger! Think of how much more money you can save on natural gas if you had a bigger truck. :)

I feel your pain, only I'm saving propane. I got a used small wood stove to replace the inefficient fireplace, then a log splitter so I could split the big stuff. Of course, after that, the saw was too small. I'm still sticking with the 2WD Ranger, though, and also the 5x8 landscape trailer that I already had.

It really comes into play if you stay in it for a long time, no getting in and getting out or you will waste time and money, I used to haul my wood in a Datsun pickup and liked it.

no comment on the truck, but i have been bitten by the same bug, bought the stove to help offset the high cost of electric heat. Now im spending money on all kinds of processing equimpent, expensive saws, and kicking myself in the azz for buying a stepside truck 2 years ago when the last thing on my mind was hauling mass amounts of wood.

It really comes into play if you stay in it for a long time, no getting in and getting out or you will waste time and money

Huh? Well gosh don't ya have to get out of the truck in order to cut the wood? ;-P

That V6 is plenty of motor for your needs. While the v8 may give you a few more HP that v6 when using proper gearing is plenty of muscle for your needs. What problem are you having with the v6??

No real problem. Just that while going uphill with cruise control engaged it doesn't just jump out of overdrive, it drops two gears and roars uphill. This is WITHOUT towing. Some of the hills are not that great so it really surprises you when VAROOOOM it drops into lower gear. Plus I was dissappointed that the V6 had absolutely no advantage in gas mileage.

Of course if I'm towing some serious wood I'll have OD turned off.

I've got an opportunity to trade it in for a 4.7 Liter V8 that is one year older, and has 25,000 more miles and is a two-door extended cab. Mine is a 4-door quad cab. The guy would take my truck in trade plus $700 (includes tax, title & license).

I don't know. . . I guess I'm just reminded of how much I dislike the V6 everytime it downshifts up a hill and I can't tell myself I'm getting better gas mileage. I guess there's a lot of life left in my V6 it's not like it's a lemon.

Turn off the cruise control. Rick

I've got a 1999 Jeep with the 4.7L v8 in it. same engine. I hear some complaints every once in a while from durango/dakota and jeep owners, but I've had nothing but good times with mine. I love the power, and can only assume the dakota is geared similarly. I've got 130,000 (just hit the mark yesterday) and it's still running strong.

Black Jaque Janaviac said:
No real problem. Just that while going uphill with cruise control engaged it doesn't just jump out of overdrive, it drops two gears and roars uphill. This is WITHOUT towing. Some of the hills are not that great so it really surprises you when VAROOOOM it drops into lower gear. Plus I was dissappointed that the V6 had absolutely no advantage in gas mileage.

I've got an opportunity to trade it in for a 4.7 Liter V8 that is one year older, and has 25,000 more miles and is a two-door extended cab. Mine is a 4-door quad cab. The guy would take my truck in trade plus $700 (includes tax, title & license).

I don't know. . . I guess I'm just reminded of how much I dislike the V6 everytime it downshifts up a hill and I can't tell myself I'm getting better gas mileage. I guess there's a lot of life left in my V6 it's not like it's a lemon.

I have the 2005 v8 magnum dakota 4 door and it does the same thing pulling my 5 x 8 trailor with a tractor in it. I get 19.6 miles per gallon highway.

If I were you and wasnt pulling a big camper or something Id stick with the v6. BTW dodge is having issues with the front differential and axle tubes, the inner tube has a bushing (not a bearing) that is wearing out and spinning, causing play on the shaft which ultimatle forces a bearing loose inside your front pumpkin and ...well let me just say at 60 miles an hour I had to replace the front end assemble axle to axle. Dodge denies a problem but the garages and salvage yards cant keep parts in stock. Do yourself a favor and get your front end gear oil replaced yearly, and metal have someone check it out....or you could do like me, turn 80k miles on it and put a 1900.00 front end on it.

Black Jaque Janaviac said:

If it does that try not using OD and see what happens , the v8 is not that much better. I would just use it til it dies and get a bigger truck or use a trailer IMHO the ONLY dodge truck worth a dime is the cummins .

I owned a 1998 Dakota with a V8 engine (0ld 318 engine)and was very please with it. It had plenty of power but was just too small for me inside, as I am a large person. In 2001 I bought a Dakota supercab with the V6 engine. I was very pleased with the extra space but was very displeased with the power. Where I live is in the mountains and It changed gears from overdrive at the slightest incline and if the incline continued it soon dropped to a lower gear that seemed too low. In this gear the engine raced and it was noisy. I was very displeased with the V6 and would never buy another Dakota V6. I was involved in an accident on black ice in late 1975 and totaled it. I was not glad for the wreck but happy to get rid of the vehicle. I replaced it with a Ford V8 supercab and have been very happy since.

Dan

Back in 1988 I bought a dakota long box V6 3.9. It had 6 miles on it. Last year I sold it for 1000.00 and it had 262,343. miles on it and it was still running. I didn't have cruise control on that one. I have two quad cabs now and I love dakotas. Just give them some gas at the bottom of the hill and let it slow down a bit on the top. No problem, don't have to race threw life anyway. I have a 4.7v8 in the wifes truck and she gets bad milage. I bought another 3.9 and get 20 mpg. Ihave cruise control now, but don't use it.

buy a full size quad cab long bed diesel dodge
put a cord in the bed and acouple more on the trailer
and get er done
truck wont even notice the weight
and get great fuel economy

ironpony said:
buy a full size quad cab long bed diesel dodge
put a cord in the bed and acouple more on the trailer
and get er done
truck wont even notice the weight
and get great fuel economy

WHAT HE SAID. only add a bigger trailer, a tractor, etc. once you buy a diesel you'll wonder why you ever drove a gas truck. word of caution " save your money and know what your buying" repairs can get expensive and good diesel mech can be hard to find!

Status
Not open for further replies.