Vaccu-Stack vs Monsoon Cap

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

senorFrog

Aug 31, 2006
I've read good things re Vaccu-Stack here. Got a strong reccomendation against them from a local installer. He recommended Monsoon Cap instead. Anyone have an opinion either way?

What problems are you having? I've never heard of a monsoon cap, the vacu stack is quite effective at preventing wind related downdrafts though.

I have some wind related draft problems. I'm going to add some height to flue and go with a wind beater type cap. Just trying to figure out which is the best. This guy had a very strong negative opinion of the Vaccu-Stack. I'll have to find out why when I get some face time with him.

I have personally used the Vacu-Stak and it solved my wind related backdraft problem, and it was a big problem.

Would highly recomend it. But then again, you will not know whether it works in your application until you try it.

Fact is, a study I have from the Canadian Government shows that regular chimney caps and the type also used on class A, etc. actually outperform many of the wind caps!

For certain constant wind, I think those directional caps with the vanes on top of them might work pretty well - speaking about seashore and similar applications. But, in most cases, the problem is elsewhere and can be addressed by raising chimney, cutting back trees, installing a regular caps, etc.

isnt that the truth craig. I live in a place that regualry recieves hurricane force gusts. I have the good ole simpson cap, and when it blows the stove glows brighter. I have not ONCE had wind blow down my chimney.

Webmaster said:
Fact is, a study I have from the Canadian Government shows that regular chimney caps and the type also used on class A, etc. actually outperform many of the wind caps!

For certain constant wind, I think those directional caps with the vanes on top of them might work pretty well - speaking about seashore and similar applications. But, in most cases, the problem is elsewhere and can be addressed by raising chimney, cutting back trees, installing a regular caps, etc.

Being on a bare side of a Mountain in WV, I did not have alot of choices. I tried the Vacu-Stak out of desperation and it worked great.
Being in the mountains, the wind would whip from multiple directions. I had a regular chimney cap, raised, lowered and tried everything to no avail.

After the Vacu-Stak was installed, the harder the wind blew, the brighter the fire got!

I think the key for me was, is that there was not a constant wind from the same direction.

Sandor said:
Webmaster said:

Being on a bare side of a Mountain in WV, I did not have alot of choices. I tried the Vacu-Stak out of desperation and it worked great.
Being in the mountains, the wind would whip from multiple directions. I had a regular chimney cap, raised, lowered and tried everything to no avail.

After the Vacu-Stak was installed, the harder the wind blew, the brighter the fire got!

I think the key for me was, is that there was not a constant wind from the same direction.

or a 24' chimney with no obstructions works too. :)
if you cant get a chimney that long, then the cure is the vacu stack and others. like craig said, they actually impeade draft when its not windy. The monsoon looks intresting, i wish i could see one close up.

Status
Not open for further replies.