Vacu-Stack cap for wind?? OR??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Machria

Minister of Fire
Nov 6, 2012
Brookhaven, Long Island
My new chimney is going in next week, slate hearth and walls to follow, lastly the stove from Woodstock hopefully directly afterward. Can't wait for the first real burn!

My house is on stilts and is very high (basically 2 1/2 to 3 stories, above the 12' base on stilts. I'm on the water basically and we get some serious wind off the ocean with nothing to block it. Sometimes down my street the wind is 5 or 10 knots, but at the top of my house, it can be 40 or 50 knot gusts. This caused alot of problems in the past with my oil burner chimney. Last year I had a new chimney put up, and a "weather cap" installed on it and I have not had any issues since.

So I want to do the same/similar with the new Stove chimney. I've seen the "Vacu-Stack" advertised for windy installs. Do these really work? Is there any other brands/type caps folks would recommend for wind?

My chimney will go out the top of the stove, straight up the corner of a cathedral ceiling (only 10 or 12' high at this spot) and out the roof where it is extended about 6' or somthing like that. So about 15'-18' total lenght, all straght.

Vacu stack cap? Other cap? to minimize the wind issues....

You linked it just fine! Thanks.... I was searching for it, but didn't spell it like they did with the dash or something.... thanks.

We get high winds out here, 60-80mph gusts common, I've never had trouble with my stove. Odd in a way cause the toilets almost go dry from the wind effecting my vent stack.

Status
Not open for further replies.