Vacu Stack Chimney Cap needed for wood burning insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WIT Performance

Nov 29, 2012
I'm having a Hearthstone Clydesdale fireplace insert installed on the 21st. My Brick Chimney currently has a Vacu-Stack on it I'm guessing to prevent a down draft. Is this needed for my wood burning insert or would it hurt to leave it?

The installer is saying I don't need it but also said I could raise the chimney a few feet if I have a problem with regular cap.

The house is 2 story and single story extension where the fireplace is the chimney is about 15 feet away from the second story and a few feet lower than the second story.

This is the VacuStack below on top of my chimney

Attachments

• vacustak.jpg
    vacustak.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 143
Sounds like as per code you are ok, but that doesn't mean no problems. I would raise the chimney the 2 feet or even more now before you install the stove. It is easier to install a chimney liner once, instead of having to take it out later and add an extension. I would just do it now and get it over with instead of hoping it will work.

Or save a heap of trouble and use the Vacu-stack. With other structures around, draft can really be affected in strange ways. I bet you will need it.

How tall will the liner be on the Clydesdale?

18 ft should keep the Clydesdale happy. I'm not sure why the vacustack cap is on the chimney but it would seem to indicate there was an issue. Will you be installing a full liner when installing the Clydesdale? If so that may make enough improvement in draft, but I can't see any harm in leaving the cap on. There are other factors including the chimney location that can affect drafting, especially in windy weather.

What unit was in the chimney, a regular fireplace...? And, how did that work with the vacustack on it? Ever any problems, or did it seem to work when windy?

PS- While your at it, tell your neighbor to change that cap he/she has, those are terrible and let rain right down the pipe! ;)

A regular masonary fireplace, only in the house a year so not sure why its on there my neighbor has the same vacustack on his house as well probably the same builder for both fireplaces.

Status
Not open for further replies.