Vacuum cleaner?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

home heater

Nov 13, 2013
michigan
So I read one article about NOT to use a regular vacuum on wood and pellet stoves. I am talking about a shop vac., not a house floor vac. Other than the fire hazard, is their any reason to spend more for a ash vacuum than using a regular shop vac. I thought I could empty the vacuum when finished, and not store it in the home.

I used a shop vac for the first year. As long as the filter is good for fine materials (so ash isn't blown thru the house), it works fine. Just remember that it shouldn't be used for hot ashes as the paper or fabric bag is flammable. Even if you empty the vac immediately, you should store the vac itself somewhere safe in case any hidden embers got caught in the bag. Even ash vac manuals tell you that there is fire danger from warm ashes or hidden embers. The metal canisters make them a little safer, but they aren't a magic cure. Their main claim to fame is the etal wand tips and bag made to filter out the fily ash.

Reactions: Deezl Smoke
I've been using my shop vac for about 10 years. I shut down the stove for about an hour. then i scoop most of the ashes into a metal pail and do some light scraping with a 3 inch paint scraper. after than i start the leaf blower outside sucking on the vent. by that time, i've never had any more embers, and i go ahead and shop vac out the stove. I leave the leaf blower on while doing this because it really prevents any kicked up dust from entering the house. when im done, i take the shop vac outside and empty it into some snow pile or standing water. theres always someplace that fits the bill. i also bang out the filter so next time i need it flow is good. when all done i store it in a shed not attached to the house.

before i started this procedure, all i did was shut the stove down, wait about an hour then vacuumed. as i did i noticed smoke coming out the shop vac exhaust. i took it outside and yep - paper filter was burning. not in flames, just smoldering.

so its up to you whether you use a shop vac or not on your stove, but it can be done safely if you take some extra steps and precautions to ensure there will be no embers.

Reactions: GT_Sharp
I have used a shop vac for 16 years. As stated, you have to be careful of hot coals. And using a dust bag is a must ! Esp. if you want to keep the Mrs's happy.

I use a small shop vac also, but you must be careful of embers, I had a hole form in the filter bag probably from a hot ember and it filled the room with a cloud of dust. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: Now I am more careful.

I use a shop vac with fine dust filter with a cooled stove. I added an exhaust blower override switch to help keep dust out when cleaning (don't have a leaf blower). Before vacuuming I stir up the ashes to look for embers but never seen one after the stove has cooled.

I used to use an old beat up canister vac with hepa filter bags. Much cheaper to do, and the bags never leaked. Even after emptying and re-using the bags a few times. Only thing is after changing bags there was always a little ash that spilled in the housing, and I never could seem to get it all out so sometimes I'd shift the vacuum and get a little puff of ash. Not a huge deal for me but the GF didn't like it.

I also use my shop vac. A $40 black Friday special Ridgid from Home Depot. I still use the original basic filter as well. I wait for the stove to shut down completely, then give it another few minutes. By that time the stove is barely warm. Then scoop out as much ash as I can, then vacuum. Never had a problem. The key is waiting for it to cool completely.

Reactions: GT_Sharp
I've used a shop vac since the mid '90s ..... same one, uses a reusable filter cartridge that I take out and toss around in the yard some and then blow out with air gun. I always wait until my stove is COLD, not just cool. I've always planned my shutdowns so that I can let her sit and cool all day or overnight at least.
I always worried any sooner and pulling air across a warm ember might cause a fire in the vac?

Tomorrow will be the first time with my new leaf blower/vac. Tested it this afternoon, man that thing blows! I'll use it outside, but still use the shop vac inside on the stove. Still in a warm pattern, stove's been off couple of weeks now, Wed looks to be 65 .... but cooling Thur into Fri and be in low 40s this weekend.

Reactions: bogieb
In the house I've used an 8 gal. Shop Vac for 15 + years with a normal bag. First year into it I got a bag smoldering, as mentioned above, was in a hurry and failed to use common sense. I always try to touch everything inside the stove now to make sure all is cold. Haven't had any close calls since. YMMV as I've noticed over the years, using different brands of pellet stoves, that some cool out at a much different rate than others. The Serenity in my shop is cold to the touch every where after the default 1/2 hour shut down cycle, I like that. I use a 14 gal. Ridgid w/bag and a dust deputy type arrangement in the shop to vac it's ash, love it. I bought one of the commercial "Ash vacs" and don't care to use it because of the emptying and cleaning it routine. I never used it to vac warm or hot ash but seem to think it would be unwise to do so. Just my $.02

Shop vac with bag and additional filter. I let my stove for about an hour before cleaning. Ensures no hot coals.

Sears 916819, for about $80. Very heavy hose, double filter unit, steel tip hose. I use it with the stove on, watch for burning pellets. Takes 8 sec to suck the ash. It has pellet stove adapters (plastic).