vacuum cleaner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

westcafe

Oct 5, 2008
central, ma
Our vent pipe goes into the chimney. Do you think if we took the pipe off and some how hooked the end of the shop vac onto the vent it would work like the leaf blower? It may not be strong enough. Just wondering how I could clean that as easy as some of you do.

I think it would help. Certainly it won't hurt, but as you stated, it won't be nearly as strong as a leaf blower. If you give it a try, open and close the door a few times while the shop vac is doing it's thing. When I use my leaf blower, I also slam the door a little bit when opening and closing it to help loosen up some of the ash that is hanging out in unseen places.

westcafe said:
.... Do you think if we took the pipe off and some how hooked the end of the shop vac onto the vent it would work like the leaf blower?.....
If you do try this, make sure that either the vacuum is outdoors w/ the exhaust pointed away from the house, or make sure you have a HEPA filter or drywall filter on it.....the soot from the stove is very tiny, and goes through most "regular' paper filters that shop vacs come with.

Thanks for the responses. We are going to try it this weekend and I will let everyone know how it worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.