Vacuum Relief and Venting For Buffer Tank

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
True, but I think if a foot valve fails on a deep well, like mine, it might also pull a vacuum. Putting a vacuum breaker on the dhw side of the buffer tank should also protect the well tank, and it's not a big deal to put in. On the other hand, it won't protect the electric or indirect tanks I have since the tanks I'm not using are valved off. So, maybe if I'm going to do it, a good place to put it in would be nearer the well tank so that all tanks downstream would be protected. If it's even an issue, that is. :)

Vacuum breakers are required if one is on "city water" versus well. reason being if fire pumper trucks hook up to hydrants they can and will pull a vacuum thru the piping and implode hot water tanks. could possibly affect boiler buffer tanks as well. Thats the way it was explained to me by a code official on a "city" job I did.

I thought the State of Maine plbg code required backflow preventers on all systems connected to public water? I'm not sure every city or town enforces that, however.

If the system has a back flow, most of which are dual backflow devices, skip the vacuum breaker.

The backflow preventer protects any potential condition like lawn sprinklers, garden hose, even clawfoot tube with non-code faucets :) I'd invest in a BFD before a VB.

thought the State of Maine plbg code required backflow preventers on all systems connected to public water? I'm not sure every city or town enforces that, however.
This job was over the "border" in NH. My multi family (public water) in town in Maine does not have either a back flow or vac breaker. Prolly grandfathered.
I like the idea of a dual BF.

Status
Not open for further replies.