Vacuums

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shweebies

Oct 22, 2008
Central Texas
What vacuum do you use. I had an old Kirby that worked great picking up the little bits of wood chips that come with hauling wood in your house. But it died. I have an old electrolux cannister, that works great normally - but is completely worthless picking up the bits of wood. I guess I have done well using 30 year old vacuums for long enough. Maybe I need to modernize. What vacuums do you use?

And no, I am not vacuuming trees, branches and sticks. Just the little bits of wood. I hand pick up the big stuff.

Thanks!

shop vacs

Reactions: bioman
I put the shop vac on the front porch and feed it through the window. Doing it this way keeps all of the exhaust dust outside. I have extension hoses that I've scavenged from old vacuums to reach about any part of the house from outside. The wife's Dyson would probably work well, but I don't want to get all that fine ash in the hepa filter.

One of the reasons I pulled up my carpet is that the little chips of wood drove me crazy. Now, those just get swept up.

I use an old sears whispertone canister. It sits right by the stove and every time I load the stove it sweep up the dirt. I've even been known to vacuum the dirt off the wood while it still sits in the rack beside the stove so there won't be so much dirt falling off of it<>. I never use my rainbow to vacuum up around the stove. Although it does sit right beside the stove too and is run on low speed to help with the dust

I use an ash vac it works really well and totally eliminates the risk that regular vacuums have if something close to the stove is still hot.

I put the shop vac on the front porch and feed it through the window. Doing it this way keeps all of the exhaust dust outside. I have extension hoses that I've scavenged from old vacuums to reach about any part of the house from outside. The wife's Dyson would probably work well, but I don't want to get all that fine ash in the hepa filter.

One of the reasons I pulled up my carpet is that the little chips of wood drove me crazy. Now, those just get swept up.
Get the hepia filter for it ( sometimes listed as the one to use when sanding drywall) that will solve dust problem. any vac without a supper fine filter will pass some dust. Most of the bagless units are set up with a extra fine filter element, some are washable and resuable.

Status
Not open for further replies.