Valcourt Antoinette vs Opel RSF

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We tore out a old Lennox zero clearance and want to replace it. The two options we are thinking of, Opel RSF and Valcourt Antoinette are very different. We do want a large good looking glass fireplace look, but also want the heat. The store that we are working with, which is very reputable, has said that we will get quite a bit of radiant heat from the Antoinette. We haven't found too many reviews on this and if it really is able to supplement heat. Obviously the price between the two is drastic as well. We did look at the Valcourt Versailles as well but did not see a huge difference between this and the RSF, other than the price. I'm interested in thoughts on radiant heat, and if this is a viable heat source. My belief is we need blowers, but I don't know about the enclosed glass radiant heat design. Our house is about 3k sq ft, and temp get cold for us which means maybe at the worst 30's. The room in which the fireplace is located has high ceilings, about 25ft, open to a upstairs. Thanks for your help, Santa Cruz Mountain Family.

I saw the Antoinette for the first time this spring. It's an impressive unit. The radiant heat through the glass was strong. The RSF Opel is also a great heater and with a less complex door system. The strongest radiant heat I felt was from the RSF Delta they had at the HPBA show last spring. But that was in a closer environment.

You are correct, you will need blowers and ceiling fans. The main thing you will be dealing with is heat stratification at the peak of the ceiling. Ceiling fans will help break up this stratification. If there is only one fan I suggest running it in reverse for a less drafty mixing of air. If there are two it might be better to have the one close to the fireplace reversed and the farther one blowing down on low speed.

I have taken a look at the manual from the Antoinette and it does not seem to have a secondary burn system (or catalyst). While it may burn clean (meaning low particulate emissions), it looks like most of the heat will go up the chimney. That would explain a burn rate of >5 kg/hr and a firebox of 5.3 cu ft but a heated area rating of less than 1000 sqft. You will need to feed the fireplace a lot of wood if you want to keep the house warm. If you want a real heater then I would suggest a ZC fireplace with a secondary burn system or catalyst (or both) like the Opel. There are plenty more options:
FireplaceXtraordinaire
KozyHeat Z42
Pacific Energy FP30
Napoleon NZ3000
Quadrafire 7100
Superior Fireplaces (look for the EPA-approved ones): http://superiorfireplaces.us.com/products/t/superior-wood-burning-fireplaces
Regency: http://www.regency-fire.com/Products/Wood/Wood-Fireplaces.aspx

Status
Not open for further replies.