Vale Oak pot belly stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerry_NJ

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Apr 19, 2008
New Jersey USA
I have an old Vale Oak "pot belly" (really has vertical sides and is wider at the bottom) stove. It has a cast iron base and shaker grate with ash pan/door. I haven't used in 15 or more years. It has been stored in a dry basement. It has a crack in the cast iron base which didn't cause any problems when I fired it up a few times in the past.

Is this something of value, or just scrap iron?

I don't know beans about the value of the stove, but I really appreciate old things, and the preservation of them. The only comment I have to offer is that it is possible to apply a weld repair to cast iron...if the job is entrusted to a skilled craftsman. There are folks who repair/restore old cast iron toys, like those made by Arcade. Of course, this wouldn't come free (unless your brother or somebody happens to know how to do that), and the cost of the restoration would certainly have to be weighed against the value (be it sentimental or monetary) of the restored piece. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.