1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Valentine's Day....a card is good enough right?

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by Jack Straw, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Jack Straw

Jack Straw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Schoharie County, N Y
    I got my wife a nice card that says something about how special she is or how lucky I am to have her ( I forgot now). Isn't that enough? I put some really nice hickory in the rack by the stove, what else could she want? The ash bucket is empty, I mean really am I going too far?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. PapaDave

PapaDave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MI - in the mitten
    You better check the card. Maybe it says how special you are, and how lucky she is to have you.
    I'd double check, but that's me. The Hickory seems like icing on the cake.
    Empty ash bucket may be too much. You're gonna' spoil her.
  3. Adios Pantalones

Adios Pantalones Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S.NH- Mass's smoking section
    Put a sawbuck in there to sweeten the pot.

Plus, it gives me 1) the opportunity to use the word "sawbuck" and
    2) a chance at a bad pun
    Hearth Mistress likes this.
  4. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Depends on the individual . . . but I know my wife would value a card with a hand-written note in it telling her how she is my best friend and soul mate and how she truly has changed my life for the better much more than she would value some flowers that wilt in a few days, chocolate that she will claim will make her fat or anything else I could buy for her.

I know other friends who have a spouse who would be upset if they didn't get the traditional card, chocolates and flowers on Valentine's Day . . . as for my wife and I we do not need one special day to profess our love for each other . . . we do that 365 days a year in our words and actions.
  5. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    My wife loves flowers. Bringing home some more would be like bringing coals to Newcastle. A nice champagne will be more appreciated.
  6. DAKSY

DAKSY Patriot Guard Rider Staff Member

Loc:
    Averill Park, NY, on Burden Lake II...
    Well, first of all I don't HAVE a wife (anymore), per se, but Susan & I have been together longer than I was married, so I guess we're permanently attached. Anyway, we exchange funny, generally sexually oriented, cards & go out to dinner (on some other nite to avoid the crowd) with my oldest daughter whose birthday is the 16th. No candy. No flowers. Couple of laughs at the cards & a decent meal later...
  7. pen

pen There are some who call me...mod. Staff Member

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    OMG :eek: ! Thanks for the reminder! Hopefully her box of SuperCedars will arrive in time. Fingers crossed.

pen
    Dune, DexterDay, corey21 and 6 others like this.
  8. GAMMA RAY

GAMMA RAY Minister of Fire

Loc:
    PA.
    I would be happy with a card and spending some quality time with that special someone. Flowers are nice too but I would be happy with just one rose. I like simplicity. :)
    corey21 and PapaDave like this.
  9. granpajohn

granpajohn Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Maryland
    That is very sweet.
    Now who the hell hacked in to Jake's account and started typing this stuff?
    firefighterjake likes this.
  10. Jack Straw

Loc:
    Schoharie County, N Y
    I think instant karma just got me! I was cutting a small hemlock tree that was bent over. It sprung back and hit me in the face. It cut my nose and forehead and knocked me on the ground, maybe I need to rethink Valentine's day. I recently told my boss that I could only work every other Saturday so I could spend more time with my wife.
  11. ScotO

ScotO Guest

Just don't do like I did on my first anniversary with my wife. I forgot all about it (yeah, go figure) and you KNOW how the ladies remember every single detail in their life (first kiss, first "ahem", first make-up "AHEM", etc.). I got up that morning before she did and walked out into the kitchen to see a card with my name on it and I thought to myself "what's that for??" !O CHIT! Then it hit me! So I went down to our local store, hurried up and scanned through the cards, found one that pretty much summed my feelings up for her, but didn't read the punchline. Well, I got home just as she was stirring, and when she came out and saw the card she was flattered.....until she read the punch line which said "Happy Birthday".......
    I had some explaining to do, but to this day we still get a chuckle out of that card!!
    MasterMech, Boog and Brokenwing like this.
  12. fishingpol

fishingpol Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Merrimack Valley, MA
    A card and a quiet dinner of steaktips with rice pilaf baby. A box o' wine is fine too.
    corey21 and pen like this.
  13. ScotO

ScotO Guest

what, no wood-fired calzones, or lasagna?! She's gonna be upset!!;)
  14. Hearth Mistress

Hearth Mistress Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pt Pleasant, PA (SE PA)
    If you haven't all figured out yet by my posts, I'm far from a "traditional" gal. Flowers, uh, no, overpriced and they are just going to wilt and die in a few days. Chocolate, nah, still have a box of harry and david truffles I got for xmas. I MAY get a card but that's not even a big deal. I'm getting an IR Thermometer, hubby has a few choices, but that's what I want. Do I need another gadget? No, but it's better than some sappy gift retailers try to suck guys into buying this time of year :)

Good luck guys, women can be tricky and if you screw this up, there will be hell to pay for sure! :eek:
  15. ScotO

ScotO Guest

I'll be wrapping myself up in nothing but a bow (actually one of her red scarves) and she should consider herself very lucky.....::-)

Nevermind, I guess I ain't "getting any" that night.........;lol
  16. fishingpol

Loc:
    Merrimack Valley, MA
    Ha, Gotta dig it out first. The snow was just about up to the door of it. You had to mention food didn't you now...
    ScotO likes this.
  17. ScotO

ScotO Guest

cant' help it.....it's in my nature buddy!:p
  18. fishingpol

Loc:
    Merrimack Valley, MA

Keep going Jake, I'm taking notes and need a few more lines to fill the card with the gushy love-talk.
  19. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    I am paid up for life. 38 years ago the first year we were married I woke up the morning of my birthday and started singing "Happy Birthday to me. Happy Birthday to me." and heard "Oh chit!" from the other side of the bed. She had forgotten my birthday. ::-)

For Valentine's this year she is happy with her new TV replacing the one that burned up yesterday.
    corey21 and ScotO like this.
  20. fishingpol

Loc:
    Merrimack Valley, MA
    Looks like I'm done shopping. Pen- I'm taking orders...

IMG_2917.JPG
  21. hossthehermit

hossthehermit Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Maine, ayuh, by gorry
    Just sayin' ...............

costs.png
    nate379, Jags, Thistle and 4 others like this.
  22. jharkin

jharkin Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Holliston, MA USA
    I'd like to say a card is enough, but over here we are more traditional. My wife would gag if I bought her chocolates but she does expect flowers. Usually I give her flowers and cook her dinner and she will get me a small gift and bake me some treats (varies every year, one time she made peanut butter cup brownie cupcakes... I think it took her about 4 hours and oh my god was it good).

I am pretty much screwed for life as our anniversary, valentines day and her birthday all fall within a 6 week span. :eek:
  23. Jack Straw

Loc:
    Schoharie County, N Y
    I am pretty much screwed for life as our anniversary, valentines day and her birthday all fall within a 6 week span. :eek:[/quote]

Well, if you play your cards right you will get screwed for life!
  24. Adios Pantalones

Adios Pantalones Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S.NH- Mass's smoking section
    Flowers, card, chocolates, dinner. It's formulaic, but simple enough.

Forecast says 80% chance of lovin.
    fishingpol and Jack Straw like this.
  25. Beer Belly

Beer Belly Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Connecticut
    [​IMG];)