Value of a 7 year old P68 and a couple of questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dkellogg3

Mar 31, 2014
CT
Hey all, after moving into our new house with electric baseboard heat, we've decided it's time for an alternative heat source. We moved out Jotul 3 with us, but have decided that with the time and effort associated with wood, we should go with pellet for our main heat source and use the wood occasionally in the basement.

A couple of weeks ago we went looking at new. Pretty much leaning towards the Enviro M55. We've got a 3000 sf main level ranch with a single second story room over the living room. Because of the size we were actually thinking of a stand alone in the family room for the FR and KIT and an insert in the living room for LR, DR. BRs would get heat from a combo of both..

ANyway... A Harman P68 came up on craigslist, so we're considering that for the FR, and then seeing how that does and add the insert if necessary. Have the following questions:

1. Approximate current value?
2. Auger was making some noise - kinda squeaky/rattley. Is that normal? Initially I thought it was one of the fans, but it only made the noise when the "feed" light came on.
3. Longevity? Guy said he's only replace the ignitor one time. Should I expect to need to do that? Approx cost.

Thanks in advance, and I'm sure once I get some response I'll have some more questions.

Don

Hey Don
I'll take a stab at this I see the unit on CL it's about 15 min from me by chance. I purchased a used P68 April of 2012 it was just over 4yrs (now 6yr)old at the time and included heat shields/trim kit/ hopper extension and 35 bags of pellets(about $400+/- value). It cost me $2k. If I were looking at the unit your currently looking at running in perfect condition I would say $1,700 would be the max I would pay for it I think the price listed is a little on the high side. 2) auger should not squeak it could just need to be cleaned where the auger meets the burn pot area. just a guess. it will make some noise as it turns but no squeaks.3) I wouldn't worry about that you can easily get by without a ignitor worst case replacement is $100 if it fails and you can't live without it. There are other things that could fail that could cost more than an ignitor and would cause the stove not to function. Ignitor in my mind is the item to least worry about. Hope it helps a little. Someone else will eventually chime in to help you.

Hey all, after moving into our new house with electric baseboard heat, we've decided it's time for an alternative heat source. We moved out Jotul 3 with us, but have decided that with the time and effort associated with wood, we should go with pellet for our main heat source and use the wood occasionally in the basement.

A couple of weeks ago we went looking at new. Pretty much leaning towards the Enviro M55. We've got a 3000 sf main level ranch with a single second story room over the living room. Because of the size we were actually thinking of a stand alone in the family room for the FR and KIT and an insert in the living room for LR, DR. BRs would get heat from a combo of both..

ANyway... A Harman P68 came up on craigslist, so we're considering that for the FR, and then seeing how that does and add the insert if necessary. Have the following questions:

1. Approximate current value?
2. Auger was making some noise - kinda squeaky/rattley. Is that normal? Initially I thought it was one of the fans, but it only made the noise when the "feed" light came on.
3. Longevity? Guy said he's only replace the ignitor one time. Should I expect to need to do that? Approx cost.

Thanks in advance, and I'm sure once I get some response I'll have some more questions.

Don
I would put a 7 yr old stove that sees regular use as well used. A well used Harmon around here generally goes for about $1500. You could be starting to look at some wear items pretty soon. Maybe a motor here or there etc.

I agree the squeal could be as simple as cleaning the augers front face. Sometimes I don't scrape the black carbon off of that and my P61 will squeal a couple times on startup. The augers are not totally silent anyway. When the gate opens to feed pellets they kind of rattle their way into the auger feed end of things. Sounds like marbels dropping into a cup.

I could gave bought a used P61 we decided to go new. It was $1500 and well used. It even was still full of ash. Including the ash pan. Such a deal we have for you !

When I was looking I found a used P68 that was 4 years old through a friend of friend at work. I went to look at it and the only thing the owner ever did was empty the ash pan and vacuum anything that fell on the floor from opening it up. He said he scraped the pot with the tool once a week but NEVER did a thorough cleaning. He admitted it was having some issues. I walked away. I can just imagine the exhaust buildup as well. It must have had 6-8 inches of ash buildup on the sides and would have had more but it just dropped into the ash pan. The heat exchanger had the V's 1/2 full. A ton of carbon buildup near the auger with only about 2/3 of an opening. I asked him why he never cleaned it, "It was too much work". Unbelievable. He was going to buy another new one when he sold this one. Go figure. He was selling it for 2k firm and you had to take it as is and uninstall it. My guess it is still for sale. It still worked somewhat with a very wild fire. The combustion motor was making some noise and he had no OAK. He had a couple of cats so I can imagine what the distribution fan was like. He used around 6 tons a year he thought but wasn't for sure as he bought pellets wherever and what would fit in his car trunk. It just boggles the mind. He also said he had a car far sale if interested. I didn't even ask. I decided to buy new.

When I was looking I found a used P68 that was 4 years old through a friend of friend at work. I went to look at it and the only thing the owner ever did was empty the ash pan and vacuum anything that fell on the floor from opening it up. He said he scraped the pot with the tool once a week but NEVER did a thorough cleaning. He admitted it was having some issues. I walked away. I can just imagine the exhaust buildup as well. It must have had 6-8 inches of ash buildup on the sides and would have had more but it just dropped into the ash pan. The heat exchanger had the V's 1/2 full. A ton of carbon buildup near the auger with only about 2/3 of an opening. I asked him why he never cleaned it, "It was too much work". Unbelievable. He was going to buy another new one when he sold this one. Go figure. He was selling it for 2k firm and you had to take it as is and uninstall it. My guess it is still for sale. It still worked somewhat with a very wild fire. The combustion motor was making some noise and he had no OAK. He had a couple of cats so I can imagine what the distribution fan was like. He used around 6 tons a year he thought but wasn't for sure as he bought pellets wherever and what would fit in his car trunk. It just boggles the mind. He also said he had a car far sale if interested. I didn't even ask. I decided to buy new.
The Fines box alone has to be jam packed to the Max......

The Fines box alone has to be jam packed to the Max......
I can just imagine. I think if he would have sold it for $1,200 I might have bought it. :) The only reason I knew he had cats and asked it is that I am allergic to them and could smell them as soon as I walked in. I had a 15 minute window of opportunity to look at it.

Come to think of it that would explain some minor scratches on the top of the stove and hopper lid. The cats must have cooled off in the summer on top of the stove.

Come to think of it that would explain some minor scratches on the top of the stove and hopper lid. The cats must have cooled off in the summer on top of the stove.
What, the owner didn't keep the top open for them to ahh relieve themselves too. Probably only sells his cars because to lazy to change the oil and tires too:)

Reactions: TonyVideo
Just for grins I found the number in my cell phone just now and called. His wife said they sold it but would not be buying another one. She did not know the price her husband sold it for. They decided to burn wood instead of pellets next winter. That will be interesting to see how that goes. I now know of a wood stove for sale in a few years. :)

Anywhere between $15- $1800. Even if you replace all 3 motors on it, it will be less than $500 to do that. I would replace the gaskets on it to.

Is the venting included?

Just for grins I found the number in my cell phone just now and called. His wife said they sold it but would not be buying another one. She did not know the price her husband sold it for. They decided to burn wood instead of pellets next winter. That will be interesting to see how that goes. I now know of a wood stove for sale in a few years. :)
Probably wont have a home to come home to if the don't do any cleaning. Wood stoves are far more needy!

2 months ago I bought a 10 year old Harman p68 from craihslist guy was asking 1000 it was filthy ,ash pan was over flowing,burn pot was almost full of carbon and ignitor wasnot working I ended up with it for 700 gave it a major cleaning ,replaced ignitor,ignitor still doesn't work but stove runs great even after years of abuse.the fines box was a solid cube of wood it was packed so tight. I've always burned wood,and still do but the pellet stove is a great addition

Probably wont have a home to come home to if the don't do any cleaning. Wood stoves are far more needy!
One chimney fire should end the whole stove foray ! If he is that lazy then she better hire a chimney sweep at least if they are going to burn wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.