Value of an older 118 black bear??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonsered

Feb 7, 2010
Woodstock CT
Well I came across an older F118 Jotul (black bear) and was wondering what its worth if complete and in decent/good shape.

I bought it for a friend who was moving and wanted a medium/small stove for his new place. After I bought it he told me that he was given a stove and did not need it anymore. I need to sell it and was wondering what is a fare price? I can have it crated and shipped from my work for the actual shipping cost (probably about $100 to $150 depending on where in the country I would be shipping).

Thanks,

Nate

I'm really not sure about the current value. Depends on condition and age. Wish you were closer, I'd probably make you an offer on it, I like the looks of them. Also, be aware that there are some knockoffs out there from years ago. Make sure yours isn't made in Taiwan. I don't know who it was that made the knockoffs, but I do remember reading about it here on the forum. I'm sure you could search that info.

I've seen decent older 118s for sale on CL for 100-150 bucks, but I imagine that one in good shape and newer would be worth more than that.

Thanks danno, Ill try and get some pics for reference...

Yeah, too bad your not closer.. my wife would make an offer just to have it sit in the corner and look good.. if the old ones have the bear casting in the side... she loves the 118, just wouldn't work for our install.

If the interior burn plates are in great condition, no cracks or warping and no cracks on the body of the stove, then currently I would expect around $200. But wait a month and give that puppy a really nice paint job and it should go for $400. If you want to be extra nice, break in the paint job with a couple break-in fires in the driveway. Considering it has not been burned in for a while, the first few fires should be small, each one larger than the last.

I agree with BG that you should hold onto it for a couple months and get a good deal more cash for it.

I disagree and feel that you should send it to me for the cost of shipping plus ummmm, like $50....

in good shape, the non epa 118 are worth @ 4-500 in my area.

summit said:
in good shape, the non epa 118 are worth @ 4-500 in my area.

I would be happy with $400 once it is cleaned up and painted!

Jonsered said:
Danno77 said:
I disagree and feel that you should send it to me for the cost of shipping plus ummmm, like $50....

HAHA...I wish you were closer I would give you a deal. The hassle of shipping would only add to the cost though and the deal would end up going out the window : (

Sounds like you are after a 118. You should scour Craigs list or...Road trip?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-118-Jot...&otn=1&po=LVI&ps=63&clkid=5985043754001798997

is that it? if so, it needs a rub down and a coat of paint, new handle (@$30) and its worth asking 500 all day.... then let them talk you down to 400 and everyone wins!

Looks like the real McCoy, though for that price you would at least hope to see it cleaned up a bit.

I am very sad to say I finally picked up this "jotul" and it is not a jotul...now im stuck with one of the knock offs...maybe a garage or shop stove...grrr

the fake "jotul" next to my real Jotul 602...the 118 knock off comes with inner heat plates and the lid but I noticed that there is no writing on the upper box which should have the classic 118 saying cast into it and it also does not say Jotul on the door...the stove is also not even close to as heavy as I would imagine an authentic 118 would be

: (

Attachments

• AAJotul.jpg
    AAJotul.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 390
BTW, a 118 which is older is not a Black Bear. That is the name for the new version with the EPA and glass in the door. So there really are no old black bears!

All Jotuls say Jotul on them.........at least the 118's and 602's, to my knowledge.

Most of the knockoffs also have cast into them "Made in Taiwan", etc.

ok...thanks for the info Webmaster! This one was purchased on Ebay and now that I know how to differentiate I could have avoided this...live and learn I guess.

So what is it? Scandia maybe?
Joe

Not sure...got it home at about 10:30 last night and was sick of the whole deal so I went to bed before I took to indepth a look at it. It is in pretty rough shape but I am going to try and wire brush and re finish it to at least get it looking presentable.

Don't lose all hope just yet. I bet it is a Scandia and some folks have gotten decent service from them. I understand it's not a Jotul, but if all is as it should be it may well be OK. We have several members that have burned the Jotul clones with varying degrees of success/satisfaction.
Joe

Thanks Joe! I am still going to clean it up and stove brite it...hopefully someone looking for a decent looking stove will be happy to give me $200.00 for it when its back in action. At $200 it will be a wash for me but thats fine at least someone can burn it!

I noticed that the quality of the casting is far inferior to the true Jotul and it shows where the different cast pieces meet eachother and some of the edges etc.

Picked up some black stove paint at Lowes today during lunch so Ill get the wire brush out and get to work on this rusty hunk tonight.

Let us know how it works out.
Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.