Value on a Makita 6401

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mstoelton

Feeling the Heat
Dec 16, 2013
SE michigan
I have a line on a makita (dolmar) 6401. Owner wants $275.

Is it worth it. Looks used but fairly clean - new bar may be necessary.

That seems to be that asking price of a Home Depot rental Makita around here. They're willing to move quite a bit (I got mine for $220) but a rental saw probably had more abuse than a home owner's saw. I'd say $275 definitely is worth it. Watch out though, I found a couple guys around here picking them up from HD and flipping them on CL. If there's numbers melted into the plastic it was a rental saw at one time. Still, not a bad price for a good running saw, even a rental since they're hard to come by..

Hi. I was ready to get that one but I found a couple others at Hom Depot tht were quite a bit closer to me. It looks clean in the photos.

I alreay have one 6401 I bought used in 2006. It will probably get a 79cc OE piston and cyl. once I get caught up hauling wood. I like tem they are pretty bulletproof and running Oregon LGX chain I'm very happy with them. I am upping the displacement mainly for occasional use with 30" bar and some light milling.

Home Depot will usually come down to 260 you ask if the saw is marked at $300...

Good luck!
Mike

Actually, the owner had said someone was coming to look at his saw and found one closer to home. This got me thinking I should call around to the local HD stores. 3rd store I called had one for sale. It is now in my garage.

Really nice saw. I can't wait to do some cutting with it.

I paid $285, they gave me an extra chain and some 2 cycle oil with it.

This thing really outclasses the Poulan 1742 that I had!

It really does not look like it has had much use. The bar still has all the paint on it and it is a 6421 the newer model.

If someone is looking for a Makita/Dolmar it pays to make a few phone calls to your local HD. The second store I called said they were getting new chainsaws next month and they would be putting the current ones up for sale early in May. The one I purchased they put on sale yesterday.

Glad you found one. You've really got to be right place/right time for those HD rentals! Last spring I started looking after I found out a guy trying to sell me one for $350 had really bought it from HD for $250 and was just flipping it and "HAD" to make $100 on the deal because he was out of a job. There's not way I was paying a $100 premium for someone on unemployment to just flip! So I started calling around for a month with no luck. Then 2 popped up at Home Depot on Craigslist one afternoon. I was able to cut out of work and was at the store within 2 hours. The first one had already sold! The 2nd was in great shape so I made and offer and ran. They're great saws, especially for the money!

Reactions: TreePointer
I just picked up one for $200 with less than 6 hours on it from Homiedepot.
DSC_0001_zps4fdb8fb9.jpg
DSC_0021_zpsf32df3fa.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_0001.JPG
    DSC_0001.JPG
    303.3 KB · Views: 212
  • DSC_0021.JPG
    DSC_0021.JPG
    249.9 KB · Views: 275
6401's are very strong for their displacement, it's just they are big and heavy for 60cc.

Status
Not open for further replies.