Valve Stem Packing for Gasoline

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
I got an old Kemp chipper/shredder yesterday and it works great (much better than the MTD pos I have).
Gasoline is leaking from the valve stem. I tried tightening the packing nut, but that didn't help. I'd like to try wrapping some packing in there before I attempt to take the valve off of the metal tank of the 8 hp B&S engine.

I see it comes in teflon or graphite. Which would be suitable for gasoline.

Thanks.

Interesting question that I asked to my buddy, Google. It does appear that the graphite stuff can be used in fuel application. I know it is common in water applications, but was unsure if the fuel would cause any issues.
From using this stuff in water application I do know one thing...get rid of all the old stuff. Actually scrape it out and replace with all new.

Note: in my reading I have also seen where the teflon is great at resistance to chemicals. Just say'in.

Last edited:
I googled, but couldn't find much. It's all a matter of putting in the right search terms I guess. I just got a package of each. I think I'll try the teflon. Have to drain tank first.

I'm leery about willy nilly replacing the valve because who know if it won't take a part of the tank with it, lol.

I'll try the packing first and replace the valve second.

Again, I'm digging the vintage Kemp chipper.
Interested in a used MTD? LOL

A thought just occurred to me: maybe I could switch the engines so it's not a total loss, although I think the MTD's is bigger, despite it's crappy performance.

I'm just so pissed off at that stupid thing. My wife wanted some more chips for a garden path, and just the thought of breaking out that pos was enough for me to act. It's only a $250 experiment, but so far, so good.

I seem to remember reading that you use a yellow Teflon tape for gasoline.

There just might be an O-ring in there, I've seen that.

I just drained the tank and took off the nut. The stem came out as well. It is a needle valve, I guess you'd call it. It looks very fixable: indeed, a deteriorated o-ring was in there. Tomorrow's job is to rummage around the hardware store's o-ring bins (good luck to me).

from here: http://www.coleparmer.com/Chemical-Resistance

Teflon, aka PTFE shows excellent compatibility with gasoline. I realize that you're now looking for an o-ring but thought this still might help.

Chemical Selected:
Gasoline, unleaded

Material
Compatibility
ABS plastic D-Severe Effect
Acetal (Delrin®) A-Excellent
Aluminum A2-Excellent
Brass N/A
Bronze A2-Excellent
Buna N (Nitrile) A1-Excellent
Carbon graphite A2-Excellent
Carbon Steel B-Good
Carpenter 20 A-Excellent
Cast iron A-Excellent
Ceramic Al203 N/A
Ceramic magnet N/A
ChemRaz (FFKM) N/A
Copper B-Good
CPVC C-Fair
EPDM D-Severe Effect
Epoxy A2-Excellent
Fluorocarbon (FKM) A-Excellent
Hastelloy-C® A-Excellent
Hypalon® A-Excellent
Hytrel® N/A
Kalrez A-Excellent
Kel-F® A2-Excellent
LDPE N/A
Natural rubber D-Severe Effect
Neoprene B-Good
NORYL® D-Severe Effect
Nylon A2-Excellent
Polycarbonate A2-Excellent
Polyetherether Ketone (PEEK) N/A
Polypropylene C1-Fair
Polyurethane N/A
PPS (Ryton®) A-Excellent
PTFE A-Excellent
PVC C2-Fair
PVDF (Kynar®) A-Excellent
Silicone D-Severe Effect
stainless steel - 304 A1-Excellent
stainless steel - 316 A2-Excellent
Titanium A-Excellent
Tygon® C-Fair
Viton® A1-Excellent

That list should help a lot when I go rummaging tomorrow!
I guess I could see if I could get a B&S part number.

If I recall correctly, Viton, Buna N and Hypalon are materials commonly used for o-rings for engine applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.