Vapor Barrier Around Gas Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nick_wa

Feb 16, 2015
Ontario, Canada
I have a large masonry chimney on the outside of the house and a heatform installed in the basement block wall. I am finishing the basement and we want to add a gas fireplace insert into the heatform,

The gas insert has clearances of 6" to the sides and 15" to the top. I am covering the concrete block walls with XPS to provide a moisture barrier and R-5 insulation. I will build stud wall in front of that and fill with R12 fiberglass. I can only bring the XPS within the allowable combustible clearances on the top and sides.

I know I can use Roxul to insulate the 6" to the sides and 15" above but how do I provide a vapor barrier here. The top 15" is basically just the metal heatform so I do not need a vapor barrier here, but the two sides are concrete block. I feel like Poly could get too warm.

How can I do a vapor barrier within the combustible clearance needed by the gas insert?

IMG_20150212_073132.jpg

VkLPlmq_Ly6t0Ula0CcJR8I8RxA6WnhvJ5wxNU_-Qr0=w737-h553-no

welcome to the forum Nick

good question, we dont really have basements out here so i've never dealt with it..

I'd ask the shop where you are purchasing the insert, let them do some work to earn your sale :)

Bump, any ideas? I am having hte gas line run today then I will fill the vent holes and concrete patch over them. After that I will need to insulate / vapor barrier so I can start on my walls.

Status
Not open for further replies.