Vapor Barrier for Ceiling?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rmcfall

Feeling the Heat
Nov 28, 2005
I am redoing our kitchen ceiling with some knotty pine boards, and some of the knot holes in these boards are large enough for loose fill insulation to easily drop through. Consequently, I need to tack something to the ceiling joists before putting up the knotty pine boards. So I am wondering what to install? I am leaning toward a 5mm underlayment or 1/8" masonite? Any suggestions as to whether the underlayment or masonite would be better? And while I am at it, should I put up some plastic as a vapor barrier as well?
Thanks,
Rob

I helped a friend do this on his ceiling and the knots became a problem for us to. We simply tacked a piece of scrap pine behind the knot as went across the ceiling.

That's a thought, but in my case the boards are pretty knotty, as well as have worm holes all over. I definitely need something continuous like 4x8 sheets of masonite or underlayment. While I am at it, I'm just wondering whether I should put up a vapor/air barrier as well?

I have seen where vapor barrier was recommended. You could use tar paper, house wrap, etc.
I also put knotty pine up on my ceilings & walls of the addition. But it already had flake board up. So I installed over the flake board.
I have also read where roll plastic will work also.

this may be a dumb question, but what is "flake" board?

rmcfall said:
this may be a dumb question, but what is "flake" board?
I believe he is referring to strand board or OSB ( Oriented-Strand Board)

Status
Not open for further replies.