Vapor-lock on a Makita 6401?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beetle-Kill

Minister of Fire
Sep 8, 2009
Colorado- near the Divide
I picked up 2 bundles of slab wood for a neighbor yesterday (1.5 cord for $20, not a bad deal). So I'm plunge cutting with the 6401, and it starts farting out. Re-start was- push in de-comp., pull choke, 1 pull, choke in and 1 pull. Started, but as soon as you hit the trigger, bogs out. Saw dies. Do over with the same results until you get pissed and break out the 346. When I opened the gas plug, the pressure sprayed gas all over. After it cooled down, minimal pressure release, but it was still there. Where do I need to look to make sure this thing is venting in the future? Or is it another issue I'm overlooking? Thanks, JB

tank vents are usually to relieve vacuum so the carb can pump with a constant reference pressure
They usually doesn't relieve pressure.
Rubber duckbill kind holds pressure to keep fuel from running out when saw is tilted sideways.
The 'setscrew in the tubing' kind does weep fuel out and does relieve some pressure.

if it idles fine it is not overfueling on pressure buildup. When you say bogs out off idle, if that is lean, then it is short on fuel.

Fuel line/filter as above, or pulse line from crankcase to carb. I think on right side of carb, to the carb fitting. Mine had good gold Tygon tubing but swelled and split and had an air leak off idle. Never resolved why, as I use non alcohol fuel. Just replaced and moved on.

Hittin and Kevin, thank you both for the replies. I fixed it. I took the damn saw to my local STIHL dealer, turned it over to one of their saw wizards. I trust these guys, but not my patience these days. I'll have it back by the weekend, so it's all good. Thanks again. JB

Maybe it'll turn orange & white when you get it back! ;-)

MasterMech said:
Maybe it'll turn orange & white when you get it back! ;-)

I was thinking maybe it will come back with a 7900 piston and cylinder !!!!!!!!!

will come back with a 7900 piston and

yup, that is the ticket. same weight, lots more power. I love mine.

let us know what they find so we all can learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.