Variable speed controller replacement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

olsonbri

Jan 24, 2011
Stillwater, OK
Greetings! I need to replace my variable speed controller, like the one in the link below. The model I have (had) reads KBMS-13BV. I see a lot of these online but I don't know how to be sure the one I get will work okay with my Kozyheat #600-1 fans, which I also cannot find much documentation on specs... I guess I'm thinking I need to match amps? Watts? Have no clue. I'm afraid I'll end up with a switch that doesn't yield the maximum power of the fans when turned all the way up.

http://www.amazon.com/Speed-Control-for-Fantech-Fans/dp/B003AUE32S

Thanks much if anyone knows where to point me.

--Bri

Hmmm...no specs are offered up from that link.

The important part is that you make sure it is a fan switch (no light dimmers). The other part is voltage and amps. Make sure it is a switch for 120V (assuming that your fan motor is A/C) and rated for, or exceeding the current draw. I think you will find most switches of this type to work up to at least 15 Amps, and I am sure that your fan does not draw anywhere near that amount. The one you linked to is probably a good bet.

EDIT: the specs for this or a very similar switch was rated at 5 AMPS. You should be able to look at the fan motor or tag on the stove to see if the amps draw of the stove will be compatible.

olsonbri said:
Greetings! I need to replace my variable speed controller, like the one in the link below. The model I have (had) reads KBMS-13BV. I see a lot of these online but I don't know how to be sure the one I get will work okay with my Kozyheat #600-1 fans, which I also cannot find much documentation on specs... I guess I'm thinking I need to match amps? Watts? Have no clue. I'm afraid I'll end up with a switch that doesn't yield the maximum power of the fans when turned all the way up.

http://www.amazon.com/Speed-Control-for-Fantech-Fans/dp/B003AUE32S

Thanks much if anyone knows where to point me.

--Bri

http://www.kbelectronics.com/Fan_Speed_Controls_Triac/Panel_Mounted_Fan_Controls.htm

KBMS-13BV 115 VAC 50/60 Hz Rated 3.0 amps @ 25ºC <--------------- Rating of speed control you have now..

It would be nice if you could get an exact replacement.. KB has been around for a long time and make a decent product..

Ray

Thank you all! I hadn't seen the TrueValue product... and for the money I think I'll give this one a try. --Bri

Beware of humming. I have install vari speed controls on ceiling fans before and they hum like crazy. Just a thought.

Tony

A few words of caution when replacing the stock fan controller...
I thought mine was going bad on the Summit and researched the hell out of it. Listed as Model KBMS-13BV....BUT, there are a few variations of this model.
You need to look at the controller cover/housing for a white label that has shows Hong Kong and underneath there is a 6 character number which may include letters. Mine for reference is H3617A. ALl the ones I found and thought I could get away with were KBMS-13BV, but had a different variation number, and came to find out they were not the same as the OEM, which turns out is proprietary. So I just bit thr bullet and ordered through Tom's company at Chimneysweeponline. I researched this heavily and spoke with distributors and the manufacturer, and that is when I found out that model KBMS-13BV, can have several variations for different purposes.
Be careful what you use if going away from OEM.

Just got off the phone with KB Electronics, the makers of the KBMS-13BV part. The difference between the stock one and the OEM one in my case (H6071 for Jotul stoves) was the wires:
  • longer length (26" vs 6"...but Jotul seems to cut them anyway)
  • high temperature tolerant
  • both black vs one black, one white
To be determined whether I pay $50-60 for the OEM part with high temp wires vs the $10-20 for the standard part.

Status
Not open for further replies.