Variable speed pump vs three way valve

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Medman

Feeling the Heat
Jul 8, 2008
Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario
I'm just about ready to pick up the required pieces and parts for my primary and secondary loops. I have been reading on Taco's site and they suggest replacing the three way valve in the near-boiler piping with a VS circulator that has an external temp sensor installed on the return pipe.
Is there an advantage to doing this, other than for Taco to sell VS circs? It looks to be about the same for price for the pump or a Danfoss three way valve.

What do you think?

you may not need either

have a look here

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/20980/

where people talk about using simpler arrangements of bypass valves or bypass pumps to avoid the need for either a mixing valve or an (expensive) variable speed setpoint controlled pump

someone other than me will have to advise you on how to do it with an EKO, but I think Nofossil has the same boiler you've ordered, and has no 3 way valve nor a variable speed pump, and he's known for doing things well

Status
Not open for further replies.