Vaulted ceiling - options

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikeb

Oct 9, 2007
Installing a new wood stove. Need to go through a vaulted ceiling. Went with the Metalbestos ceiling support box (6T-SB), but after opening the box, found this piece to be a little "rough around the edges". (ie, gaps, rivots, no trim ring) What other options are there for going thru the vaulted ceiling? Looking at the Selkirk catalog I found a kit for this application, PCK (pitched ceiling support kit), would this provide a better looking finished product? Any other suggestions, ideas, photos, links etc. Thanks.

If you have Metalbestos pipe you are probably stuck with that ceiling support box as other pipe wont connect to it. I used Simpson Duravent and it worked fine for me and it has a trim ring. Heres a pic before the finished ceiling.

Attachments

• IMG_0300_1_1.JPG
    IMG_0300_1_1.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 7,809
nshif said:
If you have Metalbestos pipe you are probably stuck with that ceiling support box as other pipe wont connect to it. I used Simpson Duravent and it worked fine for me and it has a trim ring. Heres a pic before the finished ceiling.

That Duravent box looks much better than this Metalbestos box. This box is rivoted, which provides for gaps at all seams, and, it has no trim ring. I just noticed that the MB catalog has, appearantly, another set of parts for use in vaulted ceiling app's., as mentioned above.
I'm hoping to find someone that has used this or knows where theres a pic of these parts installed (b4 I order).

The Simpsom Duravent box is riveted as well but is pretty clean. Keep in mind the 8" triple wall chimney pipe is 2 " from the side of this box and more from the corners. Clearance to class a triple is only 2"

I am sorry and I hope that I do not offend anyone, but thost installiations look bad in my opinion..I jsut do not like the looks of a big long black stove pipe standing straight up and goign through the ceiling with all that nice woodwork etc. I would much rather 90 degree it out go up the outside, even though its not as good overall as straight up for draft..I would just weigh the options

Adirondackwoodburner said:
I am sorry and I hope that I do not offend anyone, but thost installiations look bad in my opinion..I jsut do not like the looks of a big long black stove pipe standing straight up and goign through the ceiling with all that nice woodwork etc. I would much rather 90 degree it out go up the outside, even though its not as good overall as straight up for draft..I would just weigh the options

Well that was one of my origanal thoughts but was advised here to not put the 90s in to go outside because of the loss of draft. Pluss it would look even more ugly going up from the deck on the front of the house. Sometimes you do what ya gotta do. and frankly with that much wood on the walls and ceiling its nice to have something to break it up.

yeah, I guess it would depend on where the stove was going..Front of house/side etc.. My entire house is knotty pine, but 2 story and could go straight..Deinatly better for draft

Keeping it on the interior will give way better draft and less creosote production. The box can be painted with high temp paint if you don't like the black look. Our trim is painted white.

JohnnyBravo said:
could one not run black pipe up to the ceiling. then turn the 90? that would keep the chimney in the warm house just as long as going through the ceiling.

I though your whole objection was seeing the pipe going up?

You still looking at the pipe so why bother spending $300 to $600 more and get less of a draft and have 2 90 bends (including the T) to have to clean out.

Straight up is always the best way to vent any kind of solid fuel device.

http://www.hearthtools.com/install/shelburn.jpg

hearthtools said:
JohnnyBravo said:
could one not run black pipe up to the ceiling. then turn the 90? that would keep the chimney in the warm house just as long as going through the ceiling.

I though your whole objection was seeing the pipe going up?

You still looking at the pipe so why bother spending $300 to $600 more and get less of a draft and have 2 90 bends (including the T) to have to clean out.

Straight up is always the best way to vent any kind of solid fuel device.

http://www.hearthtools.com/install/shelburn.jpg

agreed. i was just trying to find a happy medium for those who value aesthetics over function. im pure function. you should see my truck :lol:

sorry I miss quoted
it was Adirondackwoodburner that did not like the support box and pipe in the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.