VC 0028 6" Duravent DVL Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bubba3228

Aug 30, 2011
central wisconsin
I noticed in my manual the manufacturer states not to use double wall pipe with the VC Defiant Encore stove unless it is approved for use by the manufacturer. Do any of you know if the Duravent DVL double wall oval to round adaptor and telescoping pipe I plan to use will be UL approved?

I also am going to install this stove in a corner and have only 16" to the wall from the rear corner of the stove. The manual shows a 24" requirement even with the rear heat shields installed. I plan to use a wall shield. Any quick inexpensive and good looking solutions any of you have come up with? I am thinking about making something in a free standing unit with metal and sheet-rock with some ceramic tiles adhered with some thin-set mortar. Has anyone ever had success with the tin ceiling looking acoustical ceiling tiles used for this application? I am not sure about the fire rating for that product just an idea that popped into my head.

bubba3228 said:
I noticed in my manual the manufacturer states not to use double wall pipe with the VC Defiant Encore stove unless it is approved for use by the manufacturer. Do any of you know if the Duravent DVL double wall oval to round adaptor and telescoping pipe I plan to use will be UL approved?

I also am going to install this stove in a corner and have only 16" to the wall from the rear corner of the stove. The manual shows a 24" requirement even with the rear heat shields installed. I plan to use a wall shield. Any quick inexpensive and good looking solutions any of you have come up with? I am thinking about making something in a free standing unit with metal and sheet-rock with some ceramic tiles adhered with some thin-set mortar. Has anyone ever had success with the tin ceiling looking acoustical ceiling tiles used for this application? I am not sure about the fire rating for that product just an idea that popped into my head.

The adaptor and telescoping pipe should be labeled by the manufacturer for UL approval. Check either the product packaging or contact the manufacturer for this listing. I used 1/2" hardibacker and ceramic tile behind and beside my stove. Do a search of my recent post for reference. The tile was just completed yesterday so i will post the pictures tonight.

Weezer the DVL is UL listed, I guess what I meant was is it an approved double wall pipe compatable or approved by VC for use with this 0028. The big thing I want to do is make sure I keep a 1" or greater air space between the existing drywall and wood 2x4 consructed wall. I like the idea of a free standing unit I can put in place for the winter, then put away when not in season.

Attachments

• IM000725.jpg
    IM000725.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 145
  • IM000794.jpg
    IM000794.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 156
Yes, tin ceiling tiles can be used as long as they are all metal. I think someone posted a picture of an installation using them a while back. Drywall is not a suitable base if you decide to put up tile instead. Use cement board like Durock or Wonderboard for this purpose. The 1" stand offs can be made of long, 3" strips, of doubled up cement board on each wall stud.

My duravent double wall has a up certification. Look for a small white sticker on the pipe.

That's an interesting paragraph in their manual. It sounds like they want a double wall pipe specifically tested with a Defiant Encore. Has DVL been specifically tested with a DE? I don't know. That might be a good question for Dura Vent's tech department.

Status
Not open for further replies.