VC 0044 insert install question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghostmedic

Aug 13, 2015
Ohio
I just bought a VC 0044 insert. I have a 9 inch insulated SS chimney liner the previous home owner installed. I have a 15 foot chimney. My question is at 63.62 in squared would I be ok to hook up the 13.5 x 5.5 inch oval slip fitting the stove came with to the existing 9 inch SS liner? If so how would I go about doing that? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Josh

9" is an odd size. Is it possible this is 8" that got ovalized a bit to fit through the damper area?

For 8" there is a standard oval to round adapter carried by many stove shops and online stores.

9" is an odd size. Is it possible this is 8" that got ovalized a bit to fit through the damper area?

For 8" there is a standard oval to round adapter carried by many stove shops and online stores.

Begreen, thanks for the reply, I don't know where they got the pipe, but it was for a standard fireplace not a stove. We made them install it when we bought the house because they had told us it was good to be burnt in but our inspector said otherwise so they may have just got the cheapest thing they could find. I measured it in all directions and got 9 inches. I was hoping for a 8 inch as I know that is a standard size. Do you think it will be ok as long as I can get a good connection? I may just have an adapter fabricated, but didn't know if I could find one. I want to make sure it is safe and that I get a good draft. The 0044 was designed as a slammer, but the slip connection that came with it has a little more surface area on the flue than an 8 inch but a little less than the 9 inch I have. I will be using this as heat along with a VC resolute II I bought but that is a more straight forward install.

Thanks,
Josh

Without seeing it, I'm not sure if the 9" liner is ok for wood stove use or not. Is it stainless steel and is this inside of a masonry chimney? Has a professional sweep cleaned and verified it is ok to use? If yes, then a simple adapter can be fabbed up out of stainless steel. The increase in size should be ok. If the liner is not appropriate for wood stove use then replace it with 8" insulated.

Do you have the manual? If not it is in this thread:
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...tion-on-vc-1984-0044-fireplace-insert.132984/

First you say "liner", then you say "pipe"; what is it? And what kind of fireplace is that? Is it full masonry or a zero clearance? It would be good if you can post some pics. It is possible that the insert cannot be installed in the fireplace in a safe manner.

It is a stainless liner inside a masonry chimney for a masonry fireplace on an interior wall. It extends into the smoke chamber 2 to 3 inches. It was installed by a chimney sweep who said it was good to use. I have no problem installing a 8 inch liner but would prefer to not spend the money of its not needed. I will post some pics tomorrow. Thanks again for any advice.

If it was installed by a qualified sweep for use as a liner for a wood burning fireplace i would say it should be ok if you can hook to it properly. I would call the sweep who did it to confirm it is ok for a stove and find out the brand pipe so you can order a matching coupler and a few feet of liner

Status
Not open for further replies.