VC 1975 Defiant Issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spartan95

Feb 15, 2015
Portland, MI
Hello,

I am new to the site and looking for some help. Awhile back I purchased a VC Defiant 1975 model with the catalytic converter, etc. I bought it used and during the move took the internal access covers out of it to lighten the load and ran some straps through the firebox and used a cherry picker to get it into my trailer. I think I screwed something up in this process. When I went to put the catalyst and the inner backs into it a piece of metal has slid up to block me from sliding the catalyst back in. I also now have some visible thin cotton-like material that has slid out and fallen into the ash pan. I can't get the metal piece to slide back down for me to slide the catalyst in and put everything back together. I will try to post a pic next. Any help/advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

It sounds like the lower fireback is out of place. The soft material you mention is gonna be your combustion package that the cat sits in. It's very fragile and likely needs replaced along with the catalyst. Unless you know it's history. Some pictures would be great!

Prepare to spend some bucks!

Here are a couple pics. One showing the thin metal piece that has slid up and blocked the installation of the cat and the thin cotton-like gasket material that slid out with the metal piece and landed in the ash pan.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    272.3 KB · Views: 119
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    274.3 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.