VC Aspen owners, I need help!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Corie

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2005
Camp Hill, PA
So i brought the aspen home today. Started tearing it apart, cleaning it up, etc. I'm trying to replace the firebricks that sit on top of the tubes and form the baffle. I cannot, for the life of me, figure out how the heck to get the firebricks to fit down into their little groove.

Any Aspen owners or dealers have any advice?

Thanks in advance.

I'm the proud owner of an Aspen as of today!!!

Monday If I get time, I can e-mail VC and get instructions.

That's the only problem. I bought the stove, but don't really have any place to put it. Maybe towards the spring, when it gets warmer, I'll move the homemade beast over for a couple days and just connect the aspen in its place.

I'm dying to know how this puppy works!

Ohhhhh so you do have to take the top off to do it?

I figure as much, I saw the gasketed seal in the parts breakdown and figured that was a clue. Thanks for the help!

Will be doing that the next time I make it home then. I think I'm going to hook it up and connect thermocouples all over the unit and do some real time temperature monitering.

Yep, that was the first thing I did when I got the stove home.

Also pulled out the grate and found 3-4 cracks, so I had to order a new one of those.

Thanks for the help Coaster, once I have time to get deeper into the stove I'll start a new thread and we can compare results.

I just came across this thread.
I live in Providence RI
I have an aspen, I got it about 45 days ago. I already replaced it with a Hearthstone Crafstbury.
Unless you only need to heat a very small area I feel the Aspen wont kick out enough.

The first floor of my house is about 28X28, open floor plan. I use an EFEL Harmony coal unit in one end and had
an old Coalbrookdale Much wenlock 30,000 BTU coal unit in the other end. I felt the Coalbrookdale was to hot, also I am moving away from coal to wood.

The aspen seemed like a good choice. But even with the surface temp at 700 the wall about 25" away wasn't even warm.
The Hearthston came last Sat.
Surface temp at 400 and everything is toasty.

I think the aspen might be better for a boat.

I am moving it up to my third floor office which is unheated but I work up there anyway.

Still I dont think I should let the stove top go above 700. I wish VC published some actual Temp. guidlines. All the manual says is dont over fire.

Me too!

If it would just get warmer, I'd pull the other stove out of the way and hook this'un up! Unfortunately we can't let the other stove go out yet.

I will be doing a REALLY REALLY detailed rebuild of the stove, and a good amount of testing.

Having said that I was disappointed with the heat output of the stove, I must say that it was my own fault for expecting to much
from a unit clearly designed for a smaller space.
I think the stove is a good stove and I will be using it in my third floor. The funny thing is that I found it easier to control than the Hearthstone that I replaced it with.
The hearthstone wont slow down as quickly. I have even had to resort to stuffing an old leather glove into the air intake to slow the hearthstone down. I even installed a damper on the exit flue which barely seems to make a difference. i think once I get my draft going it wants to take off. its about 30' of liner in an interior chimney.

The hearthstone wont slow down as quickly. I have even had to resort to stuffing an old leather glove into the air intake to slow the hearthstone down. I even installed a damper on the exit flue which barely seems to make a difference. i think once I get my draft going it wants to take off. its about 30' of liner in an interior chimney.

This is getting to be a common complaint this year. Though that is a mighty stack.

I agree. Seems everyone took our advice and when for long straight tell chimnies and now everyone's ovedrafting!

Quick, add some more bends or horizontal runs or something!!!!!!!!!!!![/joke]

May I ask what you did with the Coalbrookdale? We have a Much Wenlock and need to replace some parts. I'm looking locally first (I live in PA) but if we can't get a new liner, we'll have to consider a new stove.

thanks,
megan

I just came across this thread.
I live in Providence RI
I have an aspen, I got it about 45 days ago. I already replaced it with a Hearthstone Crafstbury.
Unless you only need to heat a very small area I feel the Aspen wont kick out enough.

The first floor of my house is about 28X28, open floor plan. I use an EFEL Harmony coal unit in one end and had
an old Coalbrookdale Much wenlock 30,000 BTU coal unit in the other end. I felt the Coalbrookdale was to hot, also I am moving away from coal to wood.

The aspen seemed like a good choice. But even with the surface temp at 700 the wall about 25" away wasn't even warm.
The Hearthston came last Sat.
Surface temp at 400 and everything is toasty.

I think the aspen might be better for a boat.

I am moving it up to my third floor office which is unheated but I work up there anyway.

I also have an Aspen - and want to change the side firebricks.

Having looked at the manual - I tried to take the side panel off using the 2 bolts and 2 screws - but it was still firmly attached.

Does anyone have any experience of doing this.

As for heat - we no longer have doors internally as we heat the whole house. - however it is a 2 bedroomed terraced house.

Any help would be appreciated.

Simon

simonrickell said:
As for heat - we no longer have doors internally as we heat the whole house.
So they just up and left? I guess they couldn't take the heat, eh? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.