VC Defiant 2190 catalytic damper problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

miked_187

Jan 27, 2010
sonora, ca
Vermont Casting Defiant 2190 and the damper won't stay closed, I've checked the gasket around the closure and it looks fine - not pulled out, shredded, etc. I'll close the damper handle and the damper plate will drop back to open pretty much right away. Sometimes it'll teeter there like its finely balance but it doesn't ever seem to sit in position with authority.

I've taken to propping the handle closed with a cut 2x4, but would like it to work right vs having to force things. Have the manual for the non-cat and the cat (this is the cat version), the non cat manual shows an adjustment, the cat version doesn't. other than incorrect/oversized gaskets installed by prev owner I'm wondering what else I might look for in the way of something wrong or something to adjust

photos and/or video available if that'll help

Thanks

OK so I know this may sound just plain dumb, but it wouldn't be the first time; The damper has a cam lock which is engaged by rotating the damper handle to be FULLY HORIZONTAL. It sholud click into place quite firmly. I've encxountered several encore owners who didn't realize that. Perhaps you already do that? If so, there's gonna be something really wrong in there...

there is no way the handle will go straight horizontal, looking at the handle straight on from the side I can get the handle in the closed position to about 7:30 position and maybe 8, but nowhere near the 9 position that you describe/ I'm afraid I'll break something if I force it much harder, sign to me that something is wrong

I cant make out where the cam you describe should be in this parts explosion: http://www.discountstove.com/2190.html

think I'll take the L inside plate side off that covers the assy and see what is up later in the week after tonights fire dies down

2190 does not have that locking feature. The older models do

Sorry to disagree, but 2190's do in fact have the cam lock. You won't see anything by removing the L core side, just the linkage, which has no adjustment or anything. Trust me, it'll go to "9 o'clock", even if it feels wrong.

well, last nights fire is cold, so I headed over to the stove, took a deep breath and grabbed the handle determined to take it to 9 o'clock figuring I can replace whatever I might break. took a ton of effort but the handle did catch on the cam and roll over to 9. was able to get it off the cam and the damper door opened back up. I gotta think gasket malfunction of some sort here, it shouldn't take a ginormus effort like it does.

miked_187 said:
well, last nights fire is cold, so I headed over to the stove, took a deep breath and grabbed the handle determined to take it to 9 o'clock figuring I can replace whatever I might break. took a ton of effort but the handle did catch on the cam and roll over to 9. was able to get it off the cam and the damper door opened back up. I gotta think gasket malfunction of some sort here, it shouldn't take a ginormus effort like it does.

Maybe you need some Earl on that thing.

defiant3 said:
Sorry to disagree, but 2190's do in fact have the cam lock. You won't see anything by removing the L core side, just the linkage, which has no adjustment or anything. Trust me, it'll go to "9 o'clock", even if it feels wrong.

sorry for the wrong info. I believe the defiant encore 2140 and up does not lock at 9 o'clock.
I am glad though things worked out!

no problems at all, things not quite all the way worked out yet but on the way in the right direction

The 2140 does lock up at 9 o'clock. I didn't know that for the first year or so I used the stove. Just rebuilt it, and spent some time getting to the locking to work right and, at least that part, works great.

If it is not staying before locking or locking is very hard and wasn't before, I would suspect one of the tabs that holds the linkage arm in place is loose, bent, or broken. You might have to pull the flue collar to get a good look.

Different stove, but maybe works the same. My Encore 2550 has a nut in the center of the damper plate that can be adjusted to change the amount of effort it takes to lock the damper into position. Maybe something similar with this stove.

Inexplicably, there is no adjustment for the 2140/2190 dampers. Believe it or not, at the factory they told us that in the event of a "too tight "damper, one should place the end of a 2x4 against said damper and hit the other end w/a big hammer. Pretty stone-age stuff for a sophisticated solid fuel combustion system such as that...

I usually just regasket the dang thing.

defiant3 said:
Believe it or not, at the factory they told us that in the event of a "too tight "damper, one should place the end of a 2x4 against said damper and hit the other end w/a big hammer.

I'm open to adjustments with the BFH. so if I understand correctly -- cold stove, close the damper to 9 o'clock, stick a 2x in the griddle opening and lay the end onto the closed door, and deliver a sharp blow with authority?

As you say. The idea, barbaric as it sounds, is to slightly tweak the torsion bar; part of the damper linkage. T-bars are made of 3/8" stainless, so it does require a bit of persuation. Start with a "moderate rap" perhaps...

I have a VC defiant encore 2190 that doesn't have the locking feature on the damper. I want to replace the upper fireback assembly with the replacement 500-8623 assembly. 1- will this assembly fit my stove? 2- how do I get the old one out. Service manual that I saw online mentions removing screws. I don't see any serews holidng this damper assemble. Another says to remove the screw on the right side. I don't see that screw. Does it slide up and needs some encouragement? It looks like there is a small space above that would allow it to slide up. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.