VC Defiant Encore-w/cat...worth $1,000?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LMBN

Aug 25, 2008
SE PA
Hello--I am fairly new to the whole woodstove thing so I thought I'd toss this out there to all of you experts.

Would you pay $1000. for a VC Defiant Encore that is approx. 13 years old.
Its beautiful to look at, brown enamel without a scratch. My husband and I are torn--pay 1k for a used stove OR 2,500 for a new one?
Thinking Jotul Oslo or Quadrafire Isle Royal.
ANY and ALL thoughts would be appreciated. I need to make a decision soon so i can place an order if I need to.

How often was the Defiant used? Does the inside look good? Anything warped? How old is the catalyst? If it was seldom used then it may be worth it. $1000 is alot for a 13 year old stove unless it was in tip top shape.

Thanks for your reply...
According to the owner the catalyst was replaced last year. It is from a classified ad and we have only seen pictures.
It is located a few hours from our home, we haven't actually '"seen" it in person.
It is a lot of money and I can't decide what to do. We have to buy something though. 2,500 for new may be a safer bet.
Need more input :)

People are selling used stoves like hot-cakes and getting big, big $ for them. Supply and demand for stoves and wood have been building up since early May and at this point in the game…its like the Zeppelin #129 ready to explode…. anything goes…..

Go look at the stove and check the following….wheel and deal from there with cash in hand
13 years old you say? You can do better (unless it was never used)

1.Warped plates around combustion chamber and discolored paint around the outside area.
2.When was the cat replaced?
3.Does the lever for the cat engage and disengage without too much force?
4.How do the Glass and top loading seals look?
5.Inspect the ash pan area and bottom grate

Back in the late 80’s early 90’s I ran a Biscuit colored Resolte Acclain Top Loading cat for 10 years. What a beautiful looking stove..... Really good heater....... Cat stoves are very finicky about seasoned wood, burning green or half seasoned wood and engaging the cat are going to give you unwanted and frustrating results….do you have wood ready? What are the prices for The Oslo and Quad?…most important, what is availability for delivery date. One other question........whats your chimney set up?

WoodButcher

It might be a good deal, but then again it might not. If you are not experienced as wood burners I would pass on this stove. There is a lot to examine and it is a more complex stove than say the Oslo.

You are looking at two different sized stoves between the Oslo (2 cu ft) and the Isle Royale (3 cuf ft) The Jotul F600 (Firelight) is Jotul's 3 cu ft stove. How large a house are you trying to heat and what is the floor plan like?

We have a 1800 sq ft. home. It is a fairly open floor plan with one bedroom upstairs. (almost a cape cod set up).
Last year we used a VC Intrepid and it was a bit chilly in here. We'll be putting it into/on our existing fireplace hearth with a 27inch height restriction. This has proven to be our biggest obstacle, finding one that fits. The Oslo has the shorter leg option we could purchase.
So many choices...
Thanks so much again for all input!!!!

It sounds like you have a good setup. Have you looked at a Hearthstone Heritage or a Woodstock Fireview (cat stove)? Both should clear the 27" height and are excellent full time heaters that won't blast you out of the room. The Woodstock is sold direct so you would need to arrange an installer, but their service is great and they have a very happy following here.

i think the defiant encore is a great stove but agree with what others have said. $1,000 would only be a fair price if you know everything about it and its all good.
otherwise i'd say pass.
times are crazy though with stoves.
i paid $300 for my 1993 defiant encore last year. (love it by the way)

Thank you SO much. I agree...def. too much for a used item.
I will check into the Hearthstone and Woodstock stoves mentioned above. Never heard of them actually. Here in PA we seem to have stove shops selling 3 or 4 name brands and thats it.
So glad I found THIS web site.

LMBN said:
I will check into the Hearthstone and Woodstock stoves mentioned above. Never heard of them actually. Here in PA we seem to have stove shops selling 3 or 4 name brands and thats it.

I find in interesting that Woodstock is running their usual late season sale when just about everyone else is jacking up prices.
I'm temped to buy a second one.... not that I need it ;-)

Parts availability would be a concern on that 13 year old VC stove.

LMBN said:

Here are some links. I wouldn't snooze, stoves are getting hard to find.

Hearthstone stoves: http://www.hearthstonestoves.com/stove-guide/select
Woodstock stoves: http://www.woodstove.com/pages/wood_stoves.html

Out here it is approximately $2800, but you may find better pricing on the east coast due to less shipping.

Thanks. Looking at the specs on it (29") I think it may be to tall. I'd like at least 1/2 of it to be inside the fireplace opening and the max. clearance on that is 27"
any ideas?

why don't you look at an insert, Quad 4100I 2000 sq ft 6-11 hr burn time. about 4200$$ much simpler install

I did actually only problem is they won't be in until sometime in December. Its nuts at those stove shops!

If you want to stay lower priced, there are some inserts in the below $1500 range that would work. You could get an Englander 13 NCi from Home Depot or Lowes and have it installed or an Enviro Kodiak or a Napoleon 1402 from a dealer perhaps.

BeGreen said:
If you want to stay lower priced, there are some inserts in the below $1500 range that would work. You could get an Englander 13 NCi from Home Depot or Lowes and have it installed or an Enviro Kodiak or a Napoleon 1402 from a dealer perhaps.

Thanks. I think we will probably stay with the Jotul Oslo 500. The dealer just called and told me he could have it in the middle of October. Matte Black is the only available. Check this out if you want a custom color--you'll have to wait until June or July 2009.
Anyone else hear that?
You have all been very helpful thanks so much.

Wow, that is pretty surprising to hear such a long delay for enameling. Sounds like they are really slammed.

That's a great stove, one of Jotul's finest. You should be very happy and a lot warmer this winter. Use the time to prepare the hearth and get things ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.