VC Defiant on 6" flue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

santiago

Dec 6, 2010
ohio
Looking to buy a display, VC Defiant non cat. I have a 6" chimney. VC lists oval to 8" and 6" round adapters for the Defiant.
The manual says can use 6" round but cannot burn with front doors open (fireplace style). I would use top exit, straight up (no curves or bends) for a total length of ~ 15 feet. (single story, cathedral ceiling). Does anyone have experience running a Defiant non cat on 6" round?
My thought are:
a) i have almost ideal condition, stright up, no bends,
b) i do not need full ability of this stove (2400 sf) so slightly restricted flue does not allow full heat, thi sis OK,
c) other stove makers of this heating size (up to 2400 sf) use 6" flue. Assuming same fire needed to produce same heat, then same 6" is all that is needed. (I realize there stove designs are not exactly the same)

Again, any thoughts/experiences running VC Defiant non cat on 6" round?

Our company has installed several on 6"flues and we haven't had any complaints.

Should be ok as long as your draft is good. I run my VC Dutcwest XL on a 6" flue (it calls for 8" if you use the firescreen) and it does fine. However, I also have almost 30 foot of insulated chimney that drafts like there is a tornado pulling the exhaust up the chimney on a 65° day so it's all relative to your setup.

I would love to know the answer to this. I have a new defiant and I am in the process of relining my chimney. I have a 40' masonry chimney. VC makes an adapter for the 6" flue. My concern is back puffing. I can just barely fit an 8" liner in with minimal insulation. A 6" liner would be a breeze to install. I have been reading everything I can find concerning this and most say you must have an 8" flue. Please if you have a set-up like this post your experience.

Prosecond said:
I would love to know the answer to this. I have a new defiant and I am in the process of relining my chimney. I have a 40' masonry chimney. VC makes an adapter for the 6" flue. My concern is back puffing. I can just barely fit an 8" liner in with minimal insulation. A 6" liner would be a breeze to install. I have been reading everything I can find concerning this and most say you must have an 8" flue. Please if you have a set-up like this post your experience.
How about a 7 inch?

Thanks for the reply. I had thought about a 7" or is there a 7.5" made? My chimney is an internal chimney so draft should be fine. I do not have the required 1" of air space between my framing and the masonry. I trial fit an 8" piece of pipe through the chimney and it fit. Unfortunately there is around 8' where I would not be able to insulate the liner.

Santiago,

What kind of price are you able to get the stove for? I have the same stove but it has had a grand total of 1 fire in it. That is when I discovered I had a problem with my chimney. I am in Ohio too. Maybe we could work a deal?

Thanks to everyone that replied. I believe 6" is ok.

The unit is a black enamal; price $2300. (but can use 30% tax rebate). Pls describe your Defiant.

Just looked at a Jotul 600. Have to admit, the Jotul is better looking.
Though, the Jotul seems to have a smaller firebox, and is a front/side loader. Defiant top loader (easier?)
The Jotul is rated 2500sf, the Defiant 2400 sf. ??? I would have guessed the opposite.
Jotul has air pipes above fire for additional burn/efficiency. (seems like the steel stoves use this design)
Defiant uses a secondary burn combustion box at rear of stove. (to me this seems like a controlled chimney fire)

Any opinions on Jotul 600?

Status
Not open for further replies.