VC Defiant primary air control

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been heating now a week and a half with my new Defiant 1610. The frustration is slowly rising.

I have a question about the primary air control. Exactly how does it work? Where does it flow from and to?

I'm questioning whether mine is functioning properly. It is seems that when you have it set high and then move it to low that not much happens with the "fire", I did give it a minute to stabilize. It just seems like I don't have control over the fire. I have not had any runaways... yet. But then again I haven't loaded it to the top yet either. Maybe nothing is wrong. Its just the way it works.

Can only speak for my own insert but--If I fully char the wood before gradually turning down the primary air, then there isn`t much change. Only change I notice is the secondaries are a little lazier. And mercifully, I don`t experience the spike in temperatures that others mention on this forum. Just lucky--I guess.

We share the same stove, and I too am a first year burner. Yes, it will take you a bit to learn the stove, but the folks here and patience (from what I've heard but have a difficult time employing) will take you a long way. I am clearly no expert, but according to my wife, based on the time I spend on this site and in front of our stove, I am well on my way to earning a doctorate in wordburnology.

You aren't going to notice much, if any difference adjusting the air intake when you are burning with the damper open. You should notice a difference when the damper is closed and everburn is engaged. You will loose or gain (depending on your adjustment) 50-100 degrees over the course of twenty minutes or so. When the stove is really roaring, you may see a decrease in flame or "glow level". Someone here told me to think about the intake more as a throttle and less like a clutch - it is gradual and not immediate. I'm not sure if this is everyones experience, but it has been mine.

You'll have to play around with your intake when you are everburning as each situation (so I'm told) is different. I know that the amount of my load and stage of the burn cycle also has an impact on the noticeable effects of adjusting the air. Sit back, enjoy the heat, and futz with the stove for a while. If you're anything like me, you'll be hooked in no time.

My stove has no primary air control to speak of. Actually, it has two sources of primary air. There is the uncontrolled injector at the front under the door and then there is the air wash system for the glass that is fed from the same source that the secondary burn tubes are. The air wash and secondaries are controlled by a bi-metal thermostatic spring so it is somewhat self-regulating.

I enlarged the intake for the injector to help burn down the coals but now I'm thinking of adding a damper to regulate it so I can have slower overnight burns and more coals for the morning.

schortie,

Thanks for the encouragement!

I really don't notice much difference adjusting the primary during updraft or downdraft. I just would have thought that you have more air flow control with the primary.

Its just frustrating that sun, moon, planets, stars, tides, wind, and everything else has to be in a perfect line to make the stove run the way its supposed too.

Does anybody know where the primary air comes in to the firebox? Is there anyway to physically check the mechanism with out disassembling.

Thanks....

Rowski said:
Is there anyway to physically check the mechanism with out disassembling....
Have you looked at the manual to see if it has an exploded parts drawing?

LLigetfa,

Yes I have.

It shows the parts exploded view. I see the air plate, air wash manifold, primary control mechanism. Supposed to really cold here today with winds and sub zero windchills. I really don't want to let the fire go out. Also I just can't figure out the flow.

BTW, I stuffed, I mean STUFFED, the stove this morning on some good coals. Closed damper and got some everburning. Temp stayed right around 500F on griddle. While getting everburning I fooled with the primary control high and low. The difference was about 25F to 30F in 20ish minutes.

Thanks...

Status
Not open for further replies.