VC Defiant Rear oval flue outlet

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

keltkim

Oct 18, 2010
Vermont
Hi folks. Hoping you can give me some insight on installing this stove....I'm freezing!

Purchased a used Defiant II which has a rear flue outlet that is oval. We've used oval to round adapters on other stoves but they were located on top. Is there some sort of special elbow? What is the best way to go about installing this? We are trying to keep clearance to the wall as minimal as possible as the stove sits in the middle of the kitchen. We do have concrete backerboard installed floor to ceiling with the proper air space.

Thanks for your replies.

The oval to round adapters for Defiants were/are called boots and should be available at several online parts dealers. In a horizontal installation, you need to run three sheet metal screws through the cast iron exit oval on the stove and into the boot itself.

Also you need to be careful about your clearance to the back wall (and other surfaces). I've heard from a number of people that insurance companies are increasingly fussy about non-EPA stove installations. In the absence of EPA testing, they seem to be insisting on 36" clearance to any flammable surface and are equally fussy about what constitutes "flammable".

All of the flue collars I've seen on VC stoves are reversible, providing either rear vent or top vent depending on how it is installed. If you want to vent from the top you can simply take out the two screws on the flue collar and install it for top vent. No special elbow is necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.