1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

VC Defiant - What's it worth?

Post in 'Classic Wood Stove Forums (prior to approx. 1993)' started by Waulie, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Waulie

Waulie Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Nothern Lower Michigan
    I have the first model (forget the no. off hand) no. Vermont Castings Defiant stove from the 70's. It is all original and in excellent shape. I am going to put it up for sale and was hoping to get an idea of what to ask. The stove is in SE Michigan.

Thanks in advance!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. peakbagger

peakbagger Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern NH
    If its a two piece fireback with no warpage on the fireback and is not in need of resealing, I see them go for $400 to $700 in the northeast (more in the fall, less in the spring). If its a one piece fireback, if it is used, it will at some point need a conversion to two piece and the cost of the kit is in the $500 range, thus its worth less.
  3. Waulie

Waulie Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Nothern Lower Michigan
    Thanks! I'll need to take a look at the fireback. Although I suppose "worthless" might be a stretch, I'm hoping I have the two piece. I haven't looked at the stove in 5+ years, but it kept me quite cozy with no issues for a few years prior. The stove has been used, but I'd say about 2 cord in the last 10 years. Before that, who knows? The thing looked fantastic when I took ownership and has been used minimally the last few years.