VC Dutchwest back on line..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tendencies

Aug 29, 2006
NW Wisc
1- First off the mfg date on this stove is Nov of 2005!! 3 months older than the one they took away. Welds do look better, is welded in more places, and is almost sitting flush on the hearth, 1 side they shimmed with some galvanized shim stock as seen in the pic’s.

Apr05398.jpg

Apr05404.jpg

Apr05408.jpg

Apr05412.jpg

Apr05414.jpg

Apr05415.jpg

Apr05416.jpg

Apr05419.jpg

Apr05422.jpg

2- Owner and his helper couldn’t of been nicer, very understanding and repeatedly said any problems, call us immediately! But I felt they had no directions from VC at all and were just doing what they felt they had to do.......I asked if they had talked directly with anyone from VC and they said no, only contact they had was with their supplier......

3- This is not what I thought was going to happen, all they (the supplier) did was open a bunch of boxes and found one that looked good.

Let's hope it holds up, not much left of the heating season here so it wont get any hard run times till next winter, luckily my warranty starts all over so at least I'm covered if it falls apart again.
T

Congrats, good luck-what's with the rust?

Like that? Seems the cardboard box that holds the fire brick during shipment got wet somewhere along the line and they were placed inside the stove for shipment. It was so cold here this morning they were actually frozen inside the firebox and had to be pried loose to get em out and what you see is how long they sat there rusting. Only surface rust so all should be ok.....

T

Tendencies,

That stove sits at abouth the height mine does, about 1/4 in off the floor? There does not seems to be any more welds just maybe a little wider then mine and mine cracked straight through. Boy my hopes are not so high now. I was expecting L brackets underneath or some kind of support foot so it sits flush, but with the blower chennel on the bottom being so this its not an easy task. :(

Hi T,
Best of luck with your new insert!! It's the least you deserve for all your agravation and frustrations. I really hope you have many, many, years of trouble free warmth from this bad boy.
Now, if only wxman can get a break.
I can't believe the rust that is in the firebox evern though the firebrick will cover it. I guess these companies got to widen their profit margin by cuting down on the stove paint and covering the firebox with paint overspray rather than a good coat or two of Stove Bright Flat Black. Wheres the pride in a companies products gone. This is truly unbelieveable! "Quality my GIG". But I guess it beats haveing a welder in your living room or doing it yourself.
One more thing, I hope your not using gasoline to get that kindleing started! For one thing its tuff on the stove,(especailly welds), and it's also just to darn exspensive especially if your starting your fires with High Test Grade Gasoline!

Seriously, Enjoy, Enjoy,
John

I for one do not want them painting the inside of new stoves. The last thing I want when the stove first gets up to 1200 degrees is a flash paint fire in it. Or an explosion.

A little surface rust in a firebox does not hurt anything. And does not explode.

Status
Not open for further replies.