VC Dutchwest meets July 1989 emissions. First one?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wood-fan-atic

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
I'm about to have my 2461 large cat stove re-built. I recently looked on the tag on the back of the stove, and it says it meets July 1989 emission standards. I know that the first "new" EPA laws went into effect that year. Is this the first model cat stove produced by VC ? I loved this stove,and it really didnt get much use at my parents house. Maybe 15-20 fires a year for the first 10 years, and then no fires for the next 10 years. Did VC make a cat stove before this,or is this the first one made?

I thought the Encore cat was the first for VC, but could be wrong.

Dutch had cats from way back - when they were made in Taiwan.....

There were various dates when the final standards had to be met - I think some were dependent on the size of the manufacturer. These were 1988 to 1990, with the standards being Phase one and Phase II (stricter in 1990 than in 1988)....

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/wiki/EPA_Emissions_Regulations/

I never remember a 1989 date - that falls in-between!

That might be a Oregon or Washington State DEQ standard......or, the tag may simply refer to the fact that it meets standards in place at that time (which would be 1988 Phase I)

Does your stove say "Made in Taiwan" on the back, or does it have a VC name on that tag? This time period is right about when VC bought Dutch...

I am pretty sure CDW made its 1st cat stove in 1984..

Ray

The 2461 was first introduced in 1993, I believe. The first ones may have been produced in 1992 and later sold in 1993. I'm not an expert but I think in 1989, they were still made in Taiwan when they were purchased by VC. According to what I've read here in the history of the Dutchwest article VC did a lot of work to do to the new line of stoves when they acquired it. The stove has remained the same from 1993 to today. Some minor changes were made in 1997 but all new parts are still interchangeable. I believe the shape of the refractory was changed slightly in 1997, as well as the fireback. I think what Craig is probably right. The stove may have passed the emissions standards put out in 1989, but I'm sure it was probably made in at least 1992.

I guess my final thought on it is that your stove, if it is a 2461, was made on or after 1992.

Edit: The Defiant Encore cat model 0028 was produced July 1986 to April 1990. The Dutchwest line was acquired by VC in 1989, so they were not the first cat stoves VC put out.

BeGreen said:
I thought the Encore cat was the first for VC, but could be wrong.
Sort of. They actually called it the Defiant Encore (later changed the name to just Encore because of the confusion with the Defiant). Model number 0028. Had one. Built in 1986.

It should be noted that Dutch were sold as a 100% different line at first, but have been somewhat melded into the regular product line lately.

They did completely - top to bottom - rework the stoves many years later...when they went to single door models, airwash, etc.

The attached image lists Vermont Castings products that were certified to meet the 1992 Phase II EPA limits.

Attachments

• 1992epa_VC.jpg
    1992epa_VC.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 523
elmoleaf said:
The attached image lists Vermont Castings products that were certified to meet the 1992 Phase II EPA limits.
Interesting. So this proves the fact that the 2461's were not released back then. The model #'s for the Dutchwests back then started with FA.

Webmaster said:
2461 as I see them in google images are single door models - these came out well after the FA models....and well after any EPA (1990 at least) regs were in place......
According to my previous research it was 1993 when they came out. This is an identification guide for Dutchwest stoves:
http://www.discountstove.com/cdwidguide.html

All the pre 1990 FA models had two separate screened air outlets on each side under the outer top as well as double front doors. 1990-1993 model still had a double front door and small glass but the convection air outlet was one big slot under the outer top with a brass bar across the slot. These model still had an air inlet on the ashpan door. After 1993, the ashpan had no air intake and the front door had become one with a bigger arched glass door. This is when the 2461 was born.

So here are a couple of pics the first was a nicely redone FA 264CCL. The second is of my own Dutchwest 2461.

Attachments

• CDW.jpg
    CDW.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 591
  • 2461.jpg
    2461.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 577
VCBurner said:
Webmaster said:
2461 as I see them in google images are single door models - these came out well after the FA models....and well after any EPA (1990 at least) regs were in place......
According to my previous research it was 1993 when they came out. This is an identification guide for Dutchwest stoves:
http://www.discountstove.com/cdwidguide.html

All the pre 1990 FA models had two separate screened air outlets on each side under the outer top as well as double front doors. 1990-1993 model still had a double front door and small glass but the convection air outlet was one big slot under the outer top with a brass bar across the slot. These model still had an air inlet on the ashpan door. After 1993, the ashpan had no air intake and the front door had become one with a bigger arched glass door. This is when the 2461 was born.

So here are a couple of pics the first was a nicely redone FA 264CCL. The second is of my own Dutchwest 2461.

From USA epa site:

CFM Corporation (Vermont Castings, Inc.)
C.D. Lg. Fed. Convection Heater FA264CCL, FA264CCR
1.6 grams per hr.
6600-26700 btu/hr
72% efficiency
Catalytic

I am fairly certain this is my stove as they do not list the brand Consolidated Dutchwest but it's described as C.D. FA264CCL etc... I believe it is EPA phase I compliant and was approved for Oregon and Washington State.. As clean as it burns it would be phase II compliant as wel in my opinionl.. Not bad considering how many smoke dragons were being sold at the same time when I bought it.. I was attracted to the catalytic claim to use 1/3 less wood along with the convection and many other features.. It was a big deal back in 1988...

Ray

PS I can't get over how nice that CDW FA264CCL looks.. I think it saw very little use and would love to own that one but it's selling for double what I paid for this one brand new..

Hey Ray, I knew you'd be drooling at that picture of the beautifully redone FA264CCL! :lol: It sure is a nice looking stove with all the bells and whistles! I'm going to attempt to put together a summary of some of the more common Dutchwest catalytic stoves from most recent to 1984, here it goes:

Year Model Number and size Details
1993-present 2460 small convection All have single front doors with one large
2461 large convection arched glass. Air wash window and air
2462 extra large convection inlet in the ash pan door.

1990-1993 2181 small convection All have double doors, extra large has
2183 large convection arched windows. All have the ash pan air
2184 extra large convection inlet.

1984-1990 FA224CL sm. convection 1984-1986 models have no air inlet above
FA264CCL large convection side door. 1986-1990 have the inlet
FA264CCR large w/ side door on right above the side door. 1985-90 XL models
FA288CCL extra large have arched glass doors.

There were other models with external ash pans or no ash pans. There were also some Box type Dutchwests that are not mentioned above.

Status
Not open for further replies.