VC Encore 1450 MFG 8/08 (just under warranty)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skieratpsu

Aug 22, 2008
Adirondacks
My brother bought this new and then moved, so gave it to me. I've been burning it for 3 years. I've had a ton of issues with control and everburn, but it still works decently. The back refractory has always been cracked, and the fountain assembly is in 2 pieces, but they fit together relatively tightly.

I just cleaned it up to get ready for the season and noticed that now the back refractory is broken into 3 pieces. The refractory shoe is now broken as well. The shoe gasket is basically gone.

I did some warranty research and found that MHSC warrants the refractories and fountain for life as long as the stove was manufactured before 7/08. My stove just makes it, being built in 8/08.

I should say that I am very anal about this thing. Always burn good wood. It is installed properly. Last year I replaced almost ALL of the gaskets. The stove is temperamental, but I make it work. I feel like all of these cracks, and the deteriorating fountain are the reasons for all of my troubles.

What do you guys think my chances of getting the 3 broken pieces (plus the shoe gasket) replaced under warranty? I don't have the receipt, and as I said, my brother is the original owner.

I called a local dealer and they weren't helpful. I'm planning on calling MHSC directly when they open on Monday. I think the warranty might work on this one. What do you think?

Uh........I really really doubt the warranty will work on that or any other one. The company has gone belly up a couple times since then and they refused to honor warranties along the way (at one time).

This summer they were once again put on the block and no one would buy it because the prospects were so poor.....so the parent company (investment house) took a vast loss and pretty much gave it to some of the employees and current management.

Bottom line is that I think you are wasting your time unless they decide they are going to spend big $$ helping old customers and start with you!

Wanted to update everyone. I spoke with MHSC and they weren't helpful. Ended up contacting the original seller in New Hampshire. They asked me to email photos of the broken parts, and processed the warranty! It took a couple of weeks, but the parts came. The new back refractory came broken in the mail, so I let the dealer know, and they sent a new one. After I got everything installed, the stove works GREAT. Everburn works, and I get a good 9 or 10 hours without adding wood. For now, my faith in Vermont Castings has been restored.

Now onto the next project... removing the existing fireplace that the stove is connected to, and turning the chase into an alcove. Per the requirements in the manual, it looks like everything will fit.

Here's a photo of the broken parts.
photo.JPG

Ended up contacting the original seller in New Hampshire. They asked me to email photos of the broken parts, and processed the warranty! It took a couple of weeks, but the parts came. The new back refractory came broken in the mail, so I let the dealer know, and they sent a new one.
That is amazing. I'd send that dealer one hell of a good bottle of booze.

Status
Not open for further replies.