VC Encore 2-in1, single or double walled connector???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mariposa

Aug 30, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Hi! I am new to the forum. I just bought a VC Encore 2-in-1. I used to have a non-cat Encore years ago and really liked it. Hoping the new one is going to be as good!

I had a steel sided Pacific Energy stove that was not heating the house, so replaced it with the VC. The chimney pipes are all still in place and I want to use the same chimney. It is a Selkirk-type chimney that comes out of the stove, goes through the wall about 6 feet high, and is steel outside with lots of clearance above the house. The pipes are all double-walled pipes inside the house. The new stove is shorter than the old one, so I need a new Chimney connector.

My worry is that in the user manual for the Encore 2040 (my model), it says: "A chimney connector is the single-walled pipe that connects the stove to the chimney" and goes on to explain how to connect the single-walled pipes, with NO mention of double-walled pipes. It doesn't say anywhere that you can ONLY use single-walled chimney connectors, and in the Clearance charts, it does show clearances for double-walled, and single-walled pipe. I downloaded an exact copy of my user manual that was identical except that it says: "A chimney connector is the double-walled or single-walled pipe that connects the stove to the chimney", and there is a section on how to connect both. I'd like to use double-walled connector because:
A: the chimney that's in place IS double-walled
B: It's more efficient, deteriorates slower and draws better, I understand

Is it okay to use a double-walled Chimney connector with this stove? Why would there be no mention of double-walled in my literature? Are there any reasons why a double-walled pipe might be bad for my stove?

Thanks!!

Welcome to the forum Mariposa!!

I use single wall connector on a double wall pipe....no problems here.

Mariposa said:
Hi! I am new to the forum. I just bought a VC Encore 2-in-1. I used to have a non-cat Encore years ago and really liked it. Hoping the new one is going to be as good!

I had a steel sided Pacific Energy stove that was not heating the house, so replaced it with the VC. The chimney pipes are all still in place and I want to use the same chimney. It is a Selkirk-type chimney that comes out of the stove, goes through the wall about 6 feet high, and is steel outside with lots of clearance above the house. The pipes are all double-walled pipes inside the house. The new stove is shorter than the old one, so I need a new Chimney connector.

My worry is that in the user manual for the Encore 2040 (my model), it says: "A chimney connector is the single-walled pipe that connects the stove to the chimney" and goes on to explain how to connect the single-walled pipes, with NO mention of double-walled pipes. It doesn't say anywhere that you can ONLY use single-walled chimney connectors, and in the Clearance charts, it does show clearances for double-walled, and single-walled pipe. I downloaded an exact copy of my user manual that was identical except that it says: "A chimney connector is the double-walled or single-walled pipe that connects the stove to the chimney", and there is a section on how to connect both. I'd like to use double-walled connector because:
A: the chimney that's in place IS double-walled
B: It's more efficient, deteriorates slower and draws better, I understand

Is it okay to use a double-walled Chimney connector with this stove? Why would there be no mention of double-walled in my literature? Are there any reasons why a double-walled pipe might be bad for my stove?

Thanks!!

As Diabel said, you should be fine. Install with confidence! :lol:

Congrats on your new stove! There is a clearance chart on page 12 of your installation manual which mentions the use of either single-wall pipe or double-wall pipe. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.